An easy and free fix for slow computer

By Liz Cornwell | December 22, 2014 |

greater than 2 minutes

Free Fix For Slow Computer

What is the best free fix for slow computer performance?
A slow computer is something that a lot of people have to face on a daily basis. Slow Windows boot, unresponsive programs, slow browser that freezes up every once in a while – sounds familiar, doesn’t it? And when you want to fix a slow computer, it usually means that you have to either upgrade your hardware or even hire a technician. That costs money. But there is a way to make your PC faster without having to spend a cent. Here is the best free fix for slow computer performance.

When your computer becomes slow all of a sudden, the first thing to do is check it for viruses, malware and spyware. Malicious programs tamper with computer settings, steal your bandwidth to transmit data and make your computer slow. So, if your computer has become suspiciously slow overnight, the free fix for slow computer is to download free anti-malware and anti-spyware software and remove infections from your PC. When all viruses are gone, you will notice an immediate speed gain.

If the anti-malware scan comes clean but your computer is still slow, this could mean that your PC is badly fragmented. File fragmentation is something that can drastically decrease computer performance because it affects the slowest part of your PC – your hard drive. File fragmentation makes the hard drive’s read arm work more than necessary, which takes more time. So if your files are fragmented, opening documents, videos, songs and launching programs will be really slow.

Another Free Fix For Slow Computers

The free fix for slow computer suffering from fragmentation is simple – just run Disk Defragmenter, a built-in Windows utility. You can find this tool if you click on Start and then go to Programs – Accessories – System Tools. Defragmentation is something that should be done on a regular basis because fragmentation accumulates with computer use. That’s why it’s recommended to defragment your computer at least once a month.

If your computer takes a long time to start up, it could be that you have too many programs launching on Windows boot. The more programs are configured to run on system startup, the longer Windows needs to load them all. To make your PC load faster, you should apply a simple free fix for slow computer startup –configure unnecessary programs to not start on Windows boot. This can be done by clicking on Start and typing msconfig in the Search Bar. Then all you need to do is go to the Startup tab and uncheck the programs you don’t want to start automatically. Then reboot your computer and enjoy the speed.

Following the steps described in this article will help you keep your computer in good shape. When performed regularly, PC maintenance can make your PC run a lot faster and keep it stable. Remember, there is a free fix for slow computer performance – you just need to know which tools to use and which maintenance tasks to run.

Share it:
Do you like this post?
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

16 comments

• T
    tony
    January 19, 2012 @05:55 pm

could anyone tell me how to fix error 0x00000000 free, all downloadable fixes scan free but then want you buy the fix.
    many thanks.

• H
    Herklaas
    December 5, 2012 @11:50 am

To Fix a slow computer:
    Your advice is good.
    But
    The single most spectacular performance improvement is to permanently increase the Minimum paging file size to the Maximum paging file size and reboot. Especially for a PC with XP and older versions.
    The Windows algorithm is to use dynamic allocation of paging space.
    Giving the maximum allowed, speeds it up perceptively.
    Windows NEEDS large paging file disc space and large RAM to run efficiently, especially the later versions (7 and 8).
    Add RAM to your PC if performance problems persist.
    How to do it:
    Use Sttart and then select Help and Support.
    Enter “set paging file size” in the search field.
    Follow instructions for your version of Windows.
    Be careful and accurate. You need to be logged in as Administrator to do this.

• U
    urbain konga
    January 17, 2013 @11:01 pm

I like you services and I would like my computer to be performe.

• M
    meershmas
    March 4, 2013 @07:36 pm

i have probelem with my computer it works very slow and we can not install any software what could i do please tell me

• B
    Barry
    March 22, 2013 @03:52 pm

Herklaas,

Thank you very much for this info. This computer was unworkable until I followed your instructions.

Barry

• J
    john
    May 3, 2013 @07:01 am

we use all types of cleaners and target specific components of our pcs to manipulate greater performance YES, this approach helps somewhat, BUT what I found that really turbo boost the speed of my pc was the SERVICE that the PROVIDER offered. I am not a techie but I think that the amount of unused downloads, flies and junk literally is like a heavy backpack weighing you down…my old fashion principle is to rid the weight, get buoyant, get the fastest speed that your SERVICE PROVIDER offer, also get a speedometer, monitor your performance

thanks
    nineofnine

• B
    Bill Gidney
    July 27, 2013 @12:10 am

I giveup for today maybe tomorrow I’l have better luck.I see a mistake but I can’t fix it with this computer

• S
    scott
    August 24, 2013 @02:30 am

It’s not a desk top, it’s a jar of mollases. I have done ALL of the above for slow computer disc Defragmenter, CC Cleaner, Deep Care Scan different Browsers but nothing. It is taking 5-10 to go from page to page and i’m getting ALOT of errors cannot display page etc. I am on dial up no broad or DSL avail. Lot’s of memory left on my system. It was working decently a few months ago and has gotten progressively worse. Now the spell check just gave me an error….. HELP!!!

• E
    elrey
    April 16, 2014 @01:21 am

pretty good software but where is the another languages

• B
    Billy Slais
    March 14, 2015 @01:37 pm

I just hope you’re for real…. I’m a 67 year old Vietnam Veteran…who doesn’t even have a credit card or a debit card; even if I wanted to purchase your product.. Hopefully, the free portion of your impressive sales pitch will help….I’ve almost thrown stuff at my laptop which is XP, not supported any longer. Obviously, can’t afford another one…. Tks in advance for your help….

• M
    Mohd Arif
    March 31, 2015 @09:19 pm

Hi Admin,

Many time s i faced slowness problem, But I didn’t able to fix that problem.

This is great post, nice work.. truly helpful for me..

Regards
    Mohd Arif

• I
    IT support Dallas
    June 25, 2016 @08:10 pm

One of these technologies for myself that I’d be able to use. It is definitely a cut above the rest of my provider and I can not wait to have it. I need your insight. Thanks

IT support Dallas

• I
    IT support Dallas
    June 25, 2016 @08:10 pm

IT support Dallas

• E
    Emma
    November 22, 2016 @06:31 pm

Thanks for the advice! Disk defragmenter is one of the things i turn too when i have problems with my computer speed. I recently found an article by IT engineers who said that these are the top 10 things they do when they get given a slow computer. A lot of these are not just the generic solutions and actually involve opening programs that i had previously not heard of. All of these are relatively easy and not time consuming. If you are having problems with your computer speed both of these articles are definitely worth a try!