After installing Windows, most people would start using the system with its default settings. However, there are some who are tech-savvy and confident enough to optimize their computer by performing certain modifications on their own. Some would add more CPU or RAM for better performance. Other techy PC users would install additional programs or special utilities to suit their needs.
However, amidst the process, certain problems may occur in the operating system. One of the issues you may encounter is the black screen in Windows 7. You’re doing nothing related to changing the wallpaper and yet a black desktop background shows up.
Some of the sources of this error:
- A third-party app for modifying display settings
- A corrupted file in the system
- An outdated graphics driver
- Incorrectly installed Windows Update
If you’re experiencing the same problem, do not throw your computer in the trash just yet. In this article, we will teach you how to remove black desktop background on Windows 10. We will also show you different ways of fixing the black screen in Windows 7.
Before Anything Else…
It is likely that the problem occurred right after you installed a third-party app which you were supposed to use to modify the UI or desktop. If this is the case, the first thing you have to do is uninstall that program. Doing so will prevent the app from controlling your display settings. However, this step won’t totally resolve the issue. What it will do is simply keep the problem from occurring again.
If you want to know how to remove black desktop background on Windows 10 and completely fix the problem, follow the instructions below.
1) Changing your Wallpaper
After disabling the third-party app, you should try to change your wallpaper. Here are the steps:
- Click the Search icon.
- Type “settings” (no quotes).
- Select Personalization.
- Choose Background from the menu.
- Select Slideshow from the drop-down list under Background. Doing so will let you test whether uninstalling the third-party app has resolved the issue.
- If Slideshow is working perfectly, you can change the background to a static image.
You can also try using different images in case you’ve been setting a corrupted photo as your desktop background.
2) Removing the Corrupted TranscodedWallpaper.jpg File
In some cases, the black desktop screen may be caused by a corrupted TranscodedWallpaper.jpg file. Because of this issue, Windows might not able to display your chosen wallpaper. To repair this file, simply follow the steps below:
- Open File Explorer.
- In the address bar, paste the text below, then hit Enter.
- Once you’re inside the folder, look for the file named TranscodedWallpaper.
- Change the name of the file to “TranscodedWallpaper.old” (no quotes).
- If you see a file with the name Settings.ini, open it in Notepad.
- Delete the contents of the file.
- Save the changes, then close Notepad.
- Follow the steps from method one and choose a new image as your desktop background.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
3) Updating your Graphics Driver
If you’re using an older graphics driver, updating it may fix the black screen in Windows 7. In this case, you would have to check your computer manufacturer’s website for updates on your video card and motherboard.
Make sure you download the appropriate file because if you install an incompatible driver, you might do more harm to your computer. As such, we highly recommend using a trusted tool like Auslogics Driver Updater. This program will automatically scan for outdated drivers and update them to the latest manufacturer-recommended versions. The great thing about this tool is that it repairs all the drivers that need attention. This means that at the end of the process, you’d be able to resolve your desktop background issue and enjoy better computer speed and performance.
4) Fixing the Settings for Ease of Access
If you’ve been tweaking the settings for Ease of Access, you may have unknowingly removed the background image. This could be the reason why you can’t fix the black screen on your computer. You simply have to uncheck a button to fix this issue. Follow the instructions below:
- Click the Search icon.
- Type “control panel” (no quotes).
- Click Ease of Access, then click Ease of Access Center.
- Select Make Computer Easier to See.
- Look for the option which says “Remove background images (where available) is unchecked.”
- If the box is checked, click it to deselect the option.
- Click Apply.
- Set a new desktop background for your computer.
5) Performing a System Restore
If the black desktop background appeared after a Windows update, you would have to revert your system to the settings before the error showed up. Follow the steps below:
- Reboot your computer.
- While the computer is starting up, press and hold the F8 key. This should let you boot into Safe Mode.
- In the search box, type “restore” (no quotes), then hit Enter.
- Select System Restore from the results.
- Submit any administrator passwords if you’re prompted to do so.
- Follow the steps provided in the Wizard and select a restore point. You should be able to take the system back to the settings before the problem happened.
Alternatively, you can also try cleaning out the System Registry to ensure that repetitive, damaged, or corrupted files that came with the update can be repaired. However, we do not recommend manually doing this. The System Registry is a sensitive database. It is so vulnerable that simply misplacing a comma can damage your computer. As such, we recommend using a program like Auslogics Registry Cleaner.
Before performing a scan, this tool will create a backup so that you can easily undo the changes and prevent further damages. Auslogics Registry Cleaner will search for registry files that need attention and will repair them accordingly.
Do you think there may be other reasons why this problem occurs?
Let us know in the comments below! We’re excited to hear your thoughts!