Windows 10 is undeniably one of the most powerful operating systems in the world. Despite this, it is still prone to issues and errors. By now, Windows users do not panic when they see error messages on their computer. After all, they have become common occurrences in the operating system.
One of the issues you might encounter on Windows 10 is the error code 0xc0000005. This can be caused by various problems, including malware infection, low or damaged RAM, corrupted registry files, or incorrect hardware configuration, among others. As we’ve mentioned, errors like this are not uncommon on Windows. So, there are plenty of solutions available online. In this article, we will teach you how to resolve the error code 0xc0000005.
Why do I see the error code 0xc0000005 notification?
Before we try to fix the problem, let us discuss the scenarios associated with it. This way, you will gain a better understanding of the reasons why it appears.
During Windows Installation
While you’re installing the Windows OS, the error code 0xc0000005 can show up and disrupt the process. This is most likely caused by temporary hardware issues or a corrupt hard drive because of bad sectors.
Error Message: “Windows installation encountered an unexpected error…”
While Launching an Application
The error code can also show up while you’re trying to open a program like VLC, Google Chrome, VLC, or any other application on your Windows computer. Since this is caused by some unsigned, invalid, or incomplete DLL files, re-installing the program will not fix the issue. If that’s the case, try one of our methods below.
Error message: “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005).”
While Windows is Accessing a Location or Data
You may be doing your regular computing tasks, and this error code will appear. This problem can affect any Windows application. The reasons behind it can include corrupted drivers, faulty RAM, registry issues, incorrect security update, and virus infection, among others.
Error message: “Exception: Access violation error (0xc0000005) at…”
This problem can also occur while you’re installing the latest updates for your system. Do not worry because you can still resolve this issue using our methods below. However, address it immediately because it can cause indirect or direct data loss. Check out some of the best ways to learn how to resolve the error code 0xc0000005.
The app contains no malware and is designed specifically for the problem described in this article. Just download and run it on your PC. free download
Developed by Auslogics
Auslogics is a certified Microsoft® Silver Application Developer. Microsoft confirms Auslogics' high expertise in developing quality software that meets the growing demands of PC users.
Solution 1: Checking your RAM
One of the best ways to fix the error code 0xc0000005 is to replace your RAM. Before you do that, you must confirm that the RAM is the culprit behind the issue. So, switch off your computer, try using another RAM. Once you’ve done that, turn on your computer, then check if the error persists. This is the ideal solution when the problem is caused by physical damage on the RAM connectors or hardware.
Solution 2: Repairing your Registry
When there are corrupt files or keys in your registry, they can cause serious system issues, including the error code 0xc0000005. So, if you previously created a registry backup, we recommend restoring it to fix the problem. However, before you proceed, do note that modifying your registry can be tricky and risky. The simplest invalid or incorrect alteration can cause major problems on your PC. So, follow the instructions below only if you’re confident that you will be able to do them correctly.
Speed up Drive Access with Auslogics Disk Defrag
A great way to boost computer speed is by defragmenting and optimizing your drives, both HDD and SSD. Disk Defrag defragments HDD, uses special algorithms to boost SSD and helps prevent fragmentation for continuously fast data access.FREE DOWNLOAD
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+R. This should bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type “regedit” (no quotes), then press Enter.
- Navigate to this path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
- Go to the right pane, then double-click LoadAppInit_DLLs.
- Change the value data from 1 to 0.
- Save the changes by clicking OK.
- Exit the Registry Editor, then restart your computer.
Solution 3: Performing an SFC Scan
If the error is caused by corrupted system files, you can fix it by using the System File Checker (SFC). You can run an SFC scan by following the steps below:
- Click the Search icon on your taskbar.
- Type “cmd” (no quotes).
- Right-click Command Prompt from the results, then choose Run as Administrator from the options.
- Once Command Prompt is up, type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), then press Enter. The tool will automatically repair the corrupt system files it will find.
Solution 4: Disabling DEP
Windows has a built-in feature that protects the system from damages caused by viruses and other security threats. The Data Execution Prevention or DEP feature is useful in many cases. However, there are programs that are incompatible with it, which is why the error code 0000005 shows up. You can disable this by following these steps:
- Launch Windows with administrative rights.
- Press Windows Key+R on your keyboard.
- Type “sysdm.cpl” (no quotes), then hit Enter.
- Go to the Advanced tab, then click Settings.
- Go to the Data Execution Protection tab.
- Click the ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select’ option.
- Click Add, then look for the executable files that are causing the problem. Add them to the list.
- Click OK.
- Restart your computer, then check if the issue persists.
Solution 5: Running CHKDSK Utility
It is possible that bad sectors or corruption on the drive are causing the error code 0xc0000005. In this case, try running the CHKDSK utility to fix the error. To do that, follow the instructions below:
- Right-click the Windows icon on your taskbar.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin) from the list.
- Type “chkdsk X: /f /r” (no quotes). Replace ‘X’ with the hard drive you need to repair, then press Enter.
Once the process is complete, check if the error has been resolved. To ensure that you will not have problems launching applications, we recommend using Auslogics Defrag Pro. Running this tool will ensure that you will have a consistently high HDD speed. It will optimize file placement on your hard drive, ensuring maximum efficiency.
Which of the solutions helped you eliminate the error?
Share your answer in the comments below!