In most cases, documents can be printed without any hassle. However, there are instances when a computer encounters errors while communicating with the printer. One of the possible errors that you may see is the PCL XL Error. If you see this error, do not panic. We are going to teach you how to fix the PCL XL Error when using an HP printer.
What is the PCL XL Error?
The PCL XL Error typically shows up when a user tries to send multiple documents for printing. One of the primary reasons why this problem occurs is a corrupted printer driver. In some instances, the printer settings can also cause the error to show up.
Solution 1: Renaming the Files Associated with your Printer
Users reported that they had been able to get rid of the error by renaming the files related to their printer. So, it would not hurt if you tried the same solution. Here are the steps:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+E. Doing so should launch File Explorer.
- Navigate to this location:
- Now, you need to filter the files, showing only the ones with the .gpd extension. To do this, click the arrow beside Type.
- Select GPD File.
- Change the names of the files to whatever you prefer. However, before renaming these files, we suggest creating backups first.
- Save the changes you made, then restart your PC.
After booting your system, try printing a document again. Check if the PCL XL Error is gone. If it isn’t, you can move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Updating your Printer Driver
As we’ve mentioned, a corrupted printer driver can cause the PCL XL Error to appear. So, one of the best ways to remove this error is to update your printer driver to the latest version recommended by its manufacturer. Here are the three ways to update your drivers:
- Accessing the Device Manager
- Downloading the Driver from the Manufacturer’s Website
- Updating all Drivers with Auslogics Driver Updater.
Accessing the Device Manager
- Right-click the Windows icon on your taskbar.
- Select Device Manager from the list.
- Look for your printer from the list of devices.
- Right-click it, then select Update Driver.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
Downloading the Driver from the Manufacturer’s Website
Your system can miss the right update for your driver. So, even if you went through the Device Manager, you’ll still have to visit the manufacturer’s website to get the correct printer driver version. Remember to find the one that is compatible with your system and processor. Otherwise, you might have to deal with system instability issues later on.
Updating all Drivers with Auslogics Driver Updater
Manually updating your drivers can be risky and time-consuming. As such, we recommend installing Auslogics Driver Updater. After activating this software program, it will automatically recognize your processor type and operating system version. All you need to do is click a button, and it will update all your drivers. The best part is, Auslogics Driver Updater will fix all driver-related issues on your computer. So, you can expect a significant improvement in your PC’s performance.
Solution 3: Changing your Printing Settings
If your PC has incorrect printing configurations, the PCL XL Error can show up. To fix this problem, you need to follow the instructions below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+R. Doing so should launch the Run dialog box.
- Inside the Run dialog box, type “Control Panel” (no quotes), then click OK.
- Select Large Icons or Small Icons from the drop-down list beside View By.
- Click Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the printer affected by the PCL XL Error.
- Select Printing Preferences from the options.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- Change Send True Type as Bitmap to Enabled, and set TrueType Fond to Download as Softfont.
- Save the changes by clicking Apply and OK.
- Restart your computer and your printer.
After booting your system, try printing the document again to see if the PCL XL Error is gone.
Can you suggest other solutions for the PCL XL Error?
Join the discussion below and share your ideas!