Your hard drive is the main storage system of your computer. So, it is only natural to worry when something goes wrong with it. Of course, you can use the CHKDSK utility to identify and fix issues. It can even be more alarming if the scan shows you several unreadable segments.
If you see the ‘File record segment is unreadable’ error message, then you need to take action immediately. Keep in mind that this problem can lead to more serious issues like data loss. As such, we recommend that you read through this article. We are going to teach you how to fix the ‘File record segment is unreadable’ error.
Why Does the ‘File Record Segment is Unreadable’ Issue Appear in Windows 10?
Usually, the error message appears when a user tries to locate and repair disk errors. In some instances, it can also come up during system startup. When you see this error, it means that there is an issue with your hard drive. It may be corrupted logically or physically. You should also be alarmed because the error is an indication that your drive is failing and you are at risk of losing vital data.
Another likely reason why you’re getting the error message is because of multiple bad sectors on your hard disk. Before anything worse happens, we encourage you to back up your files. Depending on the number of bad sectors on your drive, the issue can be simple to fix or irreversible. In most cases, minor problems can be fixed by executing a command line on Command Prompt.
Can’t Boot Windows Normally? Start Your System in Safe Mode.
In some cases, this error message can prevent users from starting Windows 10 normally. If this happens to you, we suggest that you boot your system in Safe Mode. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Click the Windows icon on your taskbar.
- Once the menu comes up, click the Power button.
- Press and hold the Shift key, then click Restart.
- Follow this path:
Troubleshoot ->Advanced Options ->Startup Settings
- Once you get to the Startup Settings page, click the Restart button in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- You will see several boot options. Press F4 to select the ‘Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt’ option.
- Press Enter on your keyboard to proceed.
Solution 1: Using the CHKDSK Utility
One of the great things about Windows 10 is it has a built-in tool for checking the disks’ integrity. The CHKDSK utility will assess and resolve common disk errors. You can launch the tool through a graphical interface or via Command Prompt. To run a CHKDSK scan through Command Prompt, follow the steps below:
- Click the Search icon on your taskbar.
- Inside the Search bar, type “Command Prompt” (no quotes).
- Right-click Command Prompt from the results, then select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- Once Command Prompt is up, type “chkdsk C: /r” (no quotes), then hit Enter.
- Note: Don’t forget to replace “C” with the drive letter of your PC hard drive.
- If prompted to restart your computer, type “Y” (no quotes) and press Enter. Doing so will initiate the CHKDSK scan.
Let the CHKDSK utility identify unreadable segments and fix them accordingly. Once the process is complete, restart your computer normally, then check if the error message is gone.
Solution 2: Connecting Your Hard Drive to a Different PC
Your hard drive may have physical damage like scratches, which causes the problem. So, we suggest that you save your files by connecting your hard disk to a different computer. Now, if you do not know how to do this, we recommend that you seek the help of an expert technician. They should also know how to remove the ‘File record segment is unreadable’ error message in Windows 10.
Once you’ve connected your hard drive to a functioning PC, you should be able to see it as This PC on the device. If the disk is not too damaged, you may be able to copy your files to an external or internal drive. After moving the files, reformat the affected drive, then check if you can still install Windows 10 on it. Otherwise, the damage may be irreversible and your only option is to replace it.
Solution 3: Cloning Your Hard Drive
You can also clone the affected drive to a new one to save your data and files. Remember that you can only do this as long as the files are not damaged or corrupted. So, you need to manage your expectations as this method does not necessarily save all of your files. Also, with this solution, you’ll need a new, functioning drive. Moreover, you need to search online for reliable cloning software.
After you’ve cloned the affected drive, try to format it. Keep in mind that this last step will delete all the data stored on the drive. However, once the process is done, you will be able to use the drive again without any issues. Of course, this will only work if there is no major physical damage to the disk.
Solution 4: Using a Data Recovery Tool
It can be devastating to lose important files. So, when you encounter the ‘File record segment is unreadable’ error message, you need to prepare yourself for heartache. That said, there is still hope. You can still salvage your files with a reliable data recovery tool. There are many programs designed for this purpose, but only a few can promise the efficient results that Auslogics File Recovery can provide.
You will be surprised at how much data you can recover from your hard drive with the help of Auslogics File Recovery. It has the ability to retrieve your lost music, documents, photos, videos, and every other file type you have. As long as your hard drive does not have any serious physical damage, you can expect File Recovery to do the job thoroughly. Its exclusive technology has been proven to be effective and safe in multiple tests. What’s more, you can try the program for FREE for 30 days!
Features of Auslogics File Recovery:
- Easy Recovery Wizard – This easy-to-use wizard allows you to choose the drives you want to scan. You can even set parameters like file types, last date modified, file names, or a date range.
- Advanced Filters – There’s no need to scour through hundreds of deleted files to locate the items you need to salvage. You can filter the files according to size, date, or file type.
- File Preview – Sometimes, you can’t get the information you need just by looking at the file name. With Auslogics File Recovery, you can preview videos, documents, photos, and PDF files right from the search results. In this way, you will be able to recover only the items you want.
- Multiple PC License – You only need to buy a single license and you’ll be able to use Auslogics File Recovery on three computers.
- Recover Items from Lost Partitions – Even if the error resulted in a lost partition, you will still be able to restore your needed files. Auslogics File Recovery will locate any information about your hard disk.
After recovering the files that you need, reformat the hard drive and see if you can use it without any issues. Now, if your disk is seriously damaged, the error may still show up later on. So, your best solution is to replace your hard drive with a new one.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
Pro Tip: Once you get your new hard drive, we strongly advise you to keep it in tip-top shape. Doing so will protect it from various errors like the one we discussed in this post. Well, one of the best ways to do this is to use Auslogics BoostSpeed. This tool cleans, tweaks, and turbo-charges your computer for optimum performance.
What’s great about BoostSpeed is it comes with the Disk Defrag feature built in. By defragmenting your hard drive, you will be able to reduce the number of mechanical movements needed to access data. Since you’re not putting too much strain on your disk, you’re prolonging its life and improving its efficiency.
Are there other solutions we missed?
Let us know in the comments below!