As human beings, we’ve always been inclined to listen to music. People from the pre-historic age used hollow sticks and stone ‘drums’ to produce primitive, yet interesting sounds. Over time, various musical instruments were developed, allowing people to produce the simplest to the most complex masterpieces. With the advent and growth of technology, people’s perception of music shifted as well. Thanks to software programs and devices, people can easily access music and even take it anywhere they go.
One of the most popular examples of software programs for music is Windows Media Player. This is a free product that people can use to play audio files, watch videos, and even shop online for additional media products. Any computer with at least a Windows 95 operating system has Windows Media Player.
What are the Features of Windows Media Player?
Windows Media Player is a full-featured software program that allows you to play back CDs, DVDs, audio files, and videos. You can also use it to stream music and video files directly from the Internet. On the ‘Now Playing’ tab, you will see the file that is currently running. As the music plays in Windows Media Player, you will have the freedom to choose from a range of visualizations.
Moreover, you can go to the Enhancements menu and use the graphic equalizer to improve the sound quality of the music you’re listening to. You can even alter the look of Windows Media Player by configuring the Color Chooser feature. If you want to reduce the volume differences between songs, you can access Crossfading and Auto Volume Leveling. If you wish to lessen the volume differences within the same song, you can use the Quiet Mode feature.
In Windows Media Player, you can search for audio, video, and image files that are saved on your hard drive. You can store and organize them in the Library tab. Another great feature of Windows Media Player is it allows you to rip audio CDs to MP3, Windows Media Audio (WMA), or WAV format. If you wish to create a copy of your media library on a portable device, you can take advantage of the Sync feature.
It is undeniable that this software program from Microsoft has revolutionized the way we listen to music. However, what if Windows Media Player doesn’t play sound? Thankfully, there are plenty of ways to resolve this issue. In this post, we are going to teach you how to fix the no sound issue in Windows Media Player.
Solution 1: Checking if You’ve Muted the Sound
In most cases, there is no sound coming through Windows Media Player because the user has unknowingly muted the audio. To make sure that the volume is audible, follow the instructions below.
- Open Windows Media Player.
- Move your mouse pointer over the volume control bar, then move the slider at least halfway to the right.
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Sound icon. Move the volume slider at least halfway to the right.
- Now, go back to Windows Media Player and play some music. Check if any sound is coming through your speakers or headphones.
Solution 2: Checking the System Settings
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
It is also possible that your system settings have not been configured properly to play sound. To know if this is the case, follow the steps below:
- Go to your taskbar, then right-click the Sound icon.
- Select Sounds from the options.
- Once the Sound properties window is up, go to the Playback tab.
- Now, check if there is a green check icon on Speakers. If so, then it means your sound system is functioning.
- If the Speakers entry does not have the green check icon, then select it and click the Set Default button.
- Click the Properties button.
- Go to the Advanced tab.
- Select a different sample rate and bit depth.
- Click the Test button, then check if you can play sound in Windows Media Player.
- Click OK to save the changes you made.
Solution 3: Updating Your Audio Driver
As promised, we will share various ways on how to fix the Windows Media Player no sound problem. So, we will teach you how to update your audio driver using three methods:
- Via the Device Manager
- Downloading the Audio Driver from the Manufacturer’s Website
- Using Auslogics Driver Updater
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smootherDOWNLOAD NOW
Via the Device Manager
- Go to your taskbar, then right-click the Windows icon.
- From the list, select Device Manager.
- Once the Device Manager is up, expand the contents of ‘Sound, video and game controllers.’
- Right-click your audio device, then select Update Driver from the options.
Downloading the Audio Driver from the Manufacturer’s Website
It is true that Device Manager makes it convenient to update your audio driver. However, it is possible for the tool to miss the latest driver version recommended by the manufacturer. So, one of the ways to ensure that you have the right driver is by going to the manufacturer’s website and downloading the correct one. You need to be careful when using this method because if you install a driver that is not compatible with your operating system and processor, you might end up with system instability issues.
Using Auslogics Driver Updater
If you want the easiest and most reliable option for updating your audio driver, then your best bet is to use Auslogics Driver Updater. After you installing this software program, it will automatically identify what operating system version and processor type you have on your computer. With a click of a button, you will be able to update your audio driver to its latest, compatible version that is recommended by the manufacturer.
The best part is, Auslogics Driver Updater takes care of all driver-related issues on your PC. So, once the update process is complete, you will notice a significant improvement in your computer.
Can you think of other ways to fix the audio issue in Windows Media Player?
Share them in the comments below!