You might have noticed that Windows Update is offering you an update for Fortemedia Extension. A lot of users are not familiar with this feature, especially those who have seen it for the first time. Of course, before you install anything on your Windows 10 PC, you’d want to get some information first. After all, Windows Update has been known to release buggy updates that affect a computer’s performance. You would not want to end up dealing with pesky errors and BSOD issues.
What Is the Fortemedia Extension Update?
Most users who saw that little Windows Update icon on their taskbar wondered, “Is the Fortemedia Extension update legitimate?” It’s only natural to doubt the update features of Windows 10, especially since they commonly cause issues. Well, to give you the peace of mind you need, we’ll provide some background information regarding the update.
Fortemedia specializes in developing voice processing technology. It is a legitimate software component of the Realtek sound driver. So, if your operating system users Realtek, chances are you’ll get the Foremedia Extension update for your audio driver. Here are the technical details of the Fortemedia Extension update:
- Driver Manufacturer: Fortemedia
- Driver Class: Other Hardware
- Category: Realtek sound cards
- Subcategory: Fortemedia SAMSoft Device Extension sound cards
- Driver Model: Fortemedia Audio Effects Component
- Description: Fortemedia Software Component driver update
- Architecture: ARM, AMD64, ARM64, IA64, and x86
If you want to find out if you’re using Realtek Audio, you can follow the instructions below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+I. Doing so will launch the Settings app.
- Once the Settings window is up, click System.
- Go to the left-pane menu, then click Sound.
- Move to the right pane, then click the drop-down list below the Output section.
You should see the available audio devices on your computer, allowing you to learn whether you’re using Realtek Audio.
How to Install the Fortemedia Extension Update in Windows 10?
If you are offered the Fortemedia Extension update, feel free to install it. It is a safe and legitimate software component. So, there is nothing to worry about. Probably your biggest concern is how to install it on your Windows 10 PC. Well, there are various ways to do that, and we’ll show all of them to you.
Method 1: Installing the Fortemedia Extension Update Using Windows Update
Of course, the easiest way to install the Fortemedia Extension update is by using Windows Update. Here are the steps:
- Launch the Settings app by pressing Windows Key+I on your keyboard.
- Once the Settings window appears, click Update & Security.
- On the left-pane menu, click Windows Update.
- Move to the right pane, then click Check for Updates.
Note: If Windows Update shows that the Fortemedia Extension update is already available for download, you can click Download.
- Once the download process is complete, restart your computer. Doing so will install the update automatically.
Method 2: Updating Your Audio Driver via the Device Manager
Since the Fortemedia Extension update is a component of your Realtek driver, you can also use the Device Manager to install it. To begin, follow the instructions below:
- Go to your taskbar, then right-click the Windows icon.
- Select Device Manager from the list.
- Once the Device Manager is up, expand the contents of the ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ category.
- Right-click Realtek High Definition Audio, then select Update Driver from the context menu.
- On the next window, click the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
Let the Device Manager locate the latest driver updates for Realtek Audio.
Method 3: Downloading the Fortemedia Extension Driver Update Manually
While the Device Manager makes it easier for users to install driver updates, the tool can be unreliable at times. Sometimes, it can miss the latest release for the device. So, if you want to ensure that you’ll get the correct version, you may need to visit the manufacturer’s website and download the driver manually. Now, you need to be cautious when using this method. If you install a driver version that is incompatible with your operating system and processor, you may end up with OS instability issues.
Method 4: Installing the Fortemedia Extension Update Using a Third-Party Driver Updater
As you can see, the Device Manager can be unreliable. Meanwhile, manually downloading the Fortemedia Extension driver update can be risky. Thankfully, there is an easier and safer way to install the update. You can use a trusted tool like Auslogics Driver Updater.
Once you install Auslogics Driver Updater, it will automatically recognize what operating system version and processor type you have. All you need to do is click a button, and the tool will identify outdated and faulty drivers on your computer. You will also have the freedom to choose which devices to update. Within a few clicks, you’ll be able to install the Fortemedia Extension update with ease. What’s more, if you choose to address all problematic drivers in one click, you will be able to improve your PC’s performance.
What do you think of the Fortemedia Extension update?
We’d love to hear your thoughts! Share your comments in the discussion section below!