Windows 10 updates are designed to improve PC performance and fix bugs and issues. Most users who download and install them can use the new features and enhancements without any problem. However, it is not always that the updates do their job efficiently. Unfortunately, there are instances wherein they cause glitches, system overload, and other problems.
Some users reported that after they had installed the latest Windows updates, the PC icon was displayed incorrectly on the Start menu and on other places. They complained that the icon had now become Computer (1). You may wonder how This PC was renamed to Computer (1) after the Windows 10 update. The (1) at the end of the file name is an indication that the executable file already exists. So, it means that the file you’re seeing is a duplicate of the original. This happens because the operating system emits the V key randomly.
It is worth noting that this is a simple visual glitch that does not affect the performance of your operating system. However, for the sake of aesthetics, you can always change it. If you want to know how to rename Computer (1) to This PC after a Windows update, read through this post. We will show you an easy method for fixing that minor visual glitch.
How to Rename Computer (1) to This PC After a Windows Update
- The first thing you need to do is launch File Explorer. You can do this by pressing Windows Key+E on your keyboard.
- Now, click the address bar and type one of the paths below:
C:\Users\[User Account]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Note: Remember to replace [User Account] accordingly.
- Double-click the Windows System folder.
- You will probably see duplicate shortcuts like Computer (1), File Explorer (1), or Control Panel (1). Delete these items.
- After deleting the duplicate shortcuts, go to the View tab.
- Select Hidden Items.
- Click Options in the rightmost corner of the ribbon. Doing so will open the Folder Options window.
- Go to the View tab.
- Deselect the option which says, “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).”
- Save the changes by clicking Apply and OK.
- In the Windows System folder, you will see a new file called Desktop.ini.
- Use Notepad to open the file.
- Once the file is open in Notepad, look for the line below:
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
- Change that line to:
- Save the Notepad file, then check if the issue has been resolved.
A Safety Reminder
If the glitch occurred after you updated your operating system, there is no need to worry. As we’ve mentioned, the issue does not affect the functionality of your Windows 10 computer. On the other hand, you should still stay cautious. If you start seeing duplicate folders with no known trigger or cause, you must look into the problem and perform an investigation. In some cases, this issue can happen due to virus or malware infection.
Your best option for resolving problems like this is to install a comprehensive and reliable anti-virus. There are many security software programs out there, and it can be challenging to choose the right one. It is important that you select a product that is trusted by many. You will be delighted to know that Auslogics Anti-Malware fits the bill. Designed by a certified Microsoft Silver Application Developer, this tool can provide you with top-notch protection against data safety threats and malware.
What’s great about Auslogics Anti-Malware is it is comprehensive enough to catch items that your main anti-virus may miss. So, you can expect it to identify what’s creating the duplicate executable files on your computer. It will keep your PC safe and secure, providing you with the peace of mind that you need.
Are there other Windows 10 issues you’d like us to discuss?
Feel free to ask your questions in the comments below!