A reasonable number of our readers ask, “Do I need multi-factor authentication?” and “How do I get two factor authentication?” With Internet swarming with malicious entities, it is only natural to be concerned about online safety these days. Since your accounts contain plenty of information valuable to a criminal, web predators are lurking around, willing to get hold of your sensitive details and steal your identity and, of course, money. To avoid falling victim to online scammers, you need to increase data security for your online accounts. This way, you can rest easy knowing that you are the only person that can sign in. An easy way to achieve this is by enabling two-factor authentication: you get an extra layer of security that forces hackers to give your precious accounts a very wide berth.
So, to know how to protect your accounts from unauthorized use, keep working your way through this article.
What is two-factor authentication?
Whether you like it or not, passwords are not enough. You should use strong ones and store them safely, though – otherwise, your security is at risk. That said, creating a separate, hard-to-crack password for each of your accounts is only the first step towards the peace of mind you deserve. Even if you keep your elaborate passwords well-hidden (which is a must), a skillful thief may find a way to snatch them. To avoid this, you should go that one step further and make use of the two-factor authentication technology.
Two-factor authentication is a convenient and reliable method of securing your online accounts. It allows to overcome the disadvantages of a standard password-only approach by adding another piece of information that verifies your login attempt: in most cases, you get a numeric code on your trusted device and input it in order to gain access to your account. This approach keeps your data extra secure since no one can get into your account without having access to your trusted device (make sure to keep it physically secure) – even if they know your password.
Below you will find detailed instructions on how to safeguard your online accounts, from Apple ID to Amazon, with two-factor authentication.
How to set up two-factor authentication for Apple ID
To elevate the security for your Apple ID to the next level and safeguard the data you store with Apple, set up two-factor authentication:
- a) Those of you who are using iOS 10.3 or later should go toSettings. Tap your name and go to Password & Security. Then tap Turn On Two-Factor Authentication and select Continue.
b) If you are using iOS 10.2 or an earlier version, navigate to Settings and select iCloud. Now tap your Apple ID and open Password & Security. Enable the Turn On Two-Factor Authentication option and tap Continue.
- Enter your trusted phone number to get verification codes when logging in.
- Tap Next and verify your phone number.
- Enable two-factor authentication.
How to turn on two-factor authentication for Google
Without two-factor authentication, your Google account is easy prey for hackers. To make it more secure, do the following:
- Launch the Settings app on your Android phone or tablet.
- 10 years on the market
- 5-star awards from industry experts
- Over 15 000 000 user downloads
- Go to Google and select Google Account. Tap Security to proceed.
- Navigate to Signing in to Google. Tap 2-Step Verification.
- Select Get started. Follow the on-screen prompts and select your second verification option.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed 11
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
How to configure two-factor authentication for Instagram
An unprotected Instagram account can be compromised in minutes if a skilled hacker is at work. To prevent this, follow the instructions below:
- Open your mobile app and navigate to the upper right corner.
- Tap the hamburger menu and go to Settings.
- Select Privacy and Security.
- In the Security section, locate and enable Two-Factor Authentication.
If you are using the web version of Instagram, take the following steps:
- Log in to your Instagram account.
- Navigate to your profile name.
- Here you’ll find a gear icon. Click it.
- Go to Privacy and Security. Turn on Two-Factor Authentication.
How to turn on two-factor authentication for Facebook
Refusing to switch to two-factor verification on Facebook may cost you dearly. In order to improve your security, make sure to do this:
- Open your Facebook mobile app and tap on the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Then navigate to Settings & Privacy.
- Go to Settings. Now open Security and Login.
- Locate Setting Up Extra Security and enable the two-factor authentication feature.
Looking how to increase your Facebook account protection on the web? Here is what should be done:
- Locate the Help icon and click on the arrow located nearby.
- Head over to Settings.
- Go to the left-hand menu and click Security and Login.
- Locate Two-Factor Authentication and enable the option.
How to set up two-factor authentication for Twitter
Your Twitter account needs proper protection as well. For both the Twitter app and the Twitter browser version, you can enable the two-factor protection this way:
- Click your profile picture.
- Go to Settings and Privacy.
- Open Account.
- Navigate to Security.
- Head over to and select Set up login verification.
- You’ll be walked through the setup process.
How to turn on two-factor authentication for Amazon
Amazon is a popular place for online shopping, and you can’t leave things to chance there. Make sure to provide an extra level of security to your Amazon login:
- Sign in to your Amazon account.
- Go to Accounts & Lists.
- Select Your Account.
- Click on Login & Security.
- Navigate to Advanced Security Settings.
- Click Edit.
- Select Get Started.
- Register your trusted phone number, and you are good to go.
Since you got to this point, obviously, security is your top priority. In light of this, we advise installing Auslogics BoostSpeed: not only does this superb software skyrocket your OS, but the tool also protects your sensitive data and keeps hackers at bay.
Now you know how to boost your online security with two-factor authentication. For further information on the topic, write to us below.