Many will agree that Windows 10 is an excellent operating system. While purists prefer sticking to the clean and practical functionality of Windows 7, millions of users who have upgraded would never look back to the old OS. Windows 10 can still run old apps while providing a host of security improvements. What’s more, it comes with enhancements that help users boost their productivity.
For many people, having two or more monitors is indispensable. If you’ve been using Windows 7, you understand how frustrating it can be to customize your desktop background. This old operating system does not support having a single image spanning across two monitors. Well, if you’ve upgraded, you can learn how to set the same wallpaper for dual monitors in Windows 10.
If you’re on Windows 10, you can enjoy the built-in support for using one background image that spans across multiple monitors. Keep reading this article if you want to discover various methods for setting it up. We’ll also share some tricks that will make your background image look even better.
Option 1: Using One Background Image for Multiple Monitors
- Launch the Settings app by pressing Windows Key+I on your keyboard.
- Once you’re inside the Settings app, select Personalization.
- On the left-pane menu, click Background.
- Move to the right pane, then scroll down to the Choose Your Picture section.
- Select a photo for your background, and if you don’t find what you like in the quick list, you can click the Browse button.
- Right-click the photo you selected from the list.
- Now, you will see three options:
- Set for all monitors
- Set for monitor 1
- Set for monitor 2
- If you want to use a single image for both monitors, select the ‘Set for all monitors’ option.
You may notice that the image fills each of the monitors you have. If you want it to span across two displays, you can click the drop-down list under ‘Choose a fit’, then select Span.
Option 2: Using Different Images for Multiple Monitors
We understand that there are users who prefer different images for their monitors. So, we’ll also share how you can configure this. Older Windows operating systems allow you to do this via the Control Panel. However, this feature was removed from Windows 10. Instead, you can set up the images via the Settings app.
We won’t deny that the Control Panel offers more options for configuring wallpapers. That said, the Settings app still allows you to use different images for multiple displays. To learn how to set up the wallpaper for dual-screen PCs, follow the instructions below:
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Windows icon.
- Click the gear icon to open the Settings app.
- Select Personalization, then click Background from the left-pane menu.
- Now, select an image from the Choose Your Picture section. You can also click Browse to locate the photo you like.
- After selecting your background image, right-click it from the list, then select Set for Monitor 1 or Set for Monitor 2.
- To set up the background photo for the other monitor, repeat Steps 4 and 5.
Tip 1: Having the Perfectly Fitting Background Image Across Multiple Monitors
If you’re a detail-oriented person, it may annoy you if your desktop background does not fill your monitors perfectly. Well, we can share a trick on how you can customize the image according to your preferences. Simply follow the steps below:
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
- The first thing you need to do is figure out the cumulative resolution of your monitors. Let’s say you have two 1920×1080 displays sitting beside each other. Get the sum of the width of the two monitors. In this case, the cumulative resolution of the displays is 3840×1080.
- Now, you’ll need to configure your image to have a resolution of 3840×1080. You may need to To do this, using you may need to use a third-party application like Adobe Photoshop.
- Once you’ve edited the resolution of your photo, you can save it to any local folder.
- Click the Search icon on your taskbar, then type “Settings” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- Select Personalization on the Settings app.
- Make sure you are on the Background page.
- Select the image with the right resolution by clicking Browse under Choose Your Picture.
- Since you want the image to fill both monitors, you need to select Span from the drop-down list under Choose a Fit.
Tip 2: Switching to a Different Background Images Easily
Some people get restless when they have to look at the same background image for hours to end. Of course, it can be annoying to go through several steps just to change the photo every time. Well, there is a workaround for this issue. You can follow the instructions below and have the ability to switch to different background images within a few clicks.
- Save the images you want to use for your desktop background in a local folder.
- Copy the photos, then open File Explorer by pressing Windows Key+E on your keyboard.
- Once File Explorer is up, navigate to this path: C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows
- Right-click any empty area in the folder, then select Paste from the context menu.
- You will see a security warning. Make sure you select the ‘Do this for all current items’ option, then click Continue.
- Now, select the photos you want to use as your wallpaper.
- Right-click the selected images, then choose Set as Desktop Background from the menu.
After completing these steps, your background image will change. If you want to switch to a different wallpaper, you can right-click an empty area on your desktop. All you need to do is select Next Desktop Background from the options.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed 11
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
- 10 years on the market
- 5-star awards from industry experts
- Over 15 000 000 user downloads
Pro Tip: When dealing with high-resolution images, you need to ensure that your computer is in tip-top shape. Otherwise, you will notice that there are delays when you’re switching to different background images. To ensure that your PC is in its optimal condition, we recommend that you use Auslogics BoostSpeed. This tool has an efficient cleaning module that can safely sweep out all types of computer junk. What’s more, you can use it to tweak non-optimal system settings, allowing processes and services to run at a faster pace.
Do you think we missed other great Windows 10 wallpaper tips?
Don’t hesitate to share them in the comments below!