There is no doubt that humans are visual beings. Studies show that we can process visuals 60,000 times faster than text. So, it is not surprising why many people get frustrated when some apps on their computer appear to be blurry. Well, do not worry because you’re not the only one experiencing this problem. If the text or images on your desktop apps seem blurry, you can follow the solutions we’ll share in this article.
Why Is the Text Blurry in Some Apps?
If you want to learn how to fix apps that appear blurry in Windows 10, you need to know why this problem happens in the first place. In most cases, this issue has something to do with scaling. This feature is quite beneficial for those who want an easier way of seeing and using navigation elements on their PC. However, in some cases, scaling can cause some apps to appear blurry. This problem happens when the program does not support scaling.
It is worth noting that dual monitor users are more susceptible to this problem. So, if you’re experiencing the same issue, then let us not waste time and start implementing the solutions. We’ve included several methods of resolving the problem. By the end of this article, you will know how to automatically fix the blurry apps problem in Windows 10.
Solution 1: Allowing Your OS to Fix Blurry Apps Automatically
Windows users have been dealing with blurry app issues for so long. One detail you might want to check is your display settings. If you set your display to Full HD resolution despite using a low-resolution monitor, then the apps will appear blurry. Thankfully, Microsoft has developed a troubleshooter specifically for this problem. You can enable this feature to automatically fix blurry apps. Here are the steps:
- Right-click an empty area on your desktop, then select Display Settings from the menu.
- Go to the left-pane menu, then select Display.
- Move to the right pane and click the ‘Advanced scaling settings’ link under the Scale and Layout section.
- Toggle the switch under the ‘Let Windows try to fix apps so they’re not blurry’ option to On. This will fix scaling for blurry apps on your computer. If you want to disable this feature, you can go back to this section and toggle the switch to Off.
- Restart your PC to save the changes you’ve made. Once your computer boots, check if the apps are still blurry.
Solution 2: Changing the DPI Settings of the Affected App
Try using other apps and check if the images and text are blurry there too. If you notice that the problem affects a single app, then you can try changing its DPI settings. Here are the steps:
- Right-click the affected app, then select Properties from the options.
- Once the Properties window is up, go to the Compatibility tab.
- Click the Change High DPI Settings button.
- Make sure that the box beside the ‘Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in Settings’ option is selected.
- You should also select the box beside the ‘Override high DPI scaling behavior’ option.
- Click OK to save the changes you’ve made.
- Make sure you click Apply and OK on the Properties window.
Restart your computer, then check if the blurry apps have been fixed.
Solution 3: Enabling ClearType
There are instances wherein the only elements affected are the fonts. Of course, you have the option to increase the size of the fonts to lessen their blurry appearance. However, they may lose their aesthetic quality along the process. Well, a good workaround is enabling the ClearType feature, which will make the fonts more readable. Consequently, there will be less blurriness in the legacy apps. Here are the steps:
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Search icon.
- Type “cleartype” (no quotes) inside the Search box, then select Adjust ClearType Text from the results.
- To enable the ClearType feature, make sure that the ‘Turn on ClearType’ option is selected. Inside the box, you will see a preview of how the fonts will look like with or without the feature.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
Note: For multiple monitor setups, there is an option to tune all the screens to the new settings.
- Select whether you want to keep your current screen resolution or if you want to set the display to its native resolution.
- Click Next.
- Once you get to the ClearType Text Tuner window, you can choose which text appearance you prefer. Click Next to proceed.
Note: If you’re using multiple monitors, you need to perform the previous steps for your other screens.
- Click Finish to complete the process.
Restart your computer, then check if the apps on Windows 10 are not blurry anymore.
Solution 4: Updating Your Display Drivers
Incompatible or outdated display drivers can also cause your apps to appear blurry. So, we recommend that you update your display drivers to resolve the problem. You can do this by using Device Manager, downloading the drivers manually, or by automating the process with the help of Auslogics Driver Updater. Among the three methods, we recommend the last one. Let us show you why:
Updating Your Display Drivers via Device Manager
- Go to your taskbar, then right-click the Windows icon.
- Select Device Manager from the options.
- On Device Manager, expand the contents of the Display Adapters category.
- Right-click your graphics card, then select Update Driver from the context menu.
- Click the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ link.
Downloading the Graphics Card Driver Manually
If you notice that nothing has changed after you’ve updated your graphics card driver, then it is likely that Device Manager missed the latest version of the driver. In this case, you’ll still need to go to the manufacturer’s website to download the right driver. You need to be careful before you proceed with this option. If you install a driver that is incompatible with your processor and operating system, you might experience stability issues on your computer.
Automatically Updating Your Graphics Card Driver with Auslogics Driver Updater
Alright, so Device Manager can be unreliable and the manual process can be risky. What now? Well, you can use a trusted tool like Auslogics Driver Updater. This software program can detect your operating system version and processor type. With a click of a button, it will locate, download, and install the latest driver version for your graphics card. Moreover, it will resolve all driver-related issues on your computer. So, you can fix your blurry apps while improving the performance of your PC.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
Solution 5: Lowering Your Screen Resolution
Some users claimed that lowering their screen resolution had helped reduce the blurriness of the apps. So, it is worth giving a try. Here are the steps:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key+I on your keyboard.
- Select System.
- Click Display on the left-pane menu.
- Move to the right pane, then click the drop-down list under Display Resolution.
- Choose a resolution lower than the one that your screen currently uses.
After performing these steps, check if the issue has been resolved.
Let us know how we can improve this article by sharing your thoughts in the comments below!