Finally, after a long day of hard work, you can enjoy your free time and watch your favorite videos on YouTube. You open your browser, go to the site and see that familiar red play button. However, when you start playing a video, you only see a white or black screen. You try to play another video to no avail. You either see that screen or that seemingly never-ending spinning wheel in the video window. What should you do when Youtube videos aren’t playing?
Many users have asked, “Why YouTube isn’t playing on my laptop?” So, you will be delighted to know that there are plenty of solutions available for you. In this article, we will show you how to fix YouTube on your browser so you can get back to enjoying your favorite videos in no time.
Solution 1: Making Changes on your Browser
You might have left your computer idle and the YouTube page simply went into sleep mode. If this is the case, all you have to do is refresh it. Once you do this, you should be able to play the YouTube videos.
On the other hand, if you have an outdated browser, it can possibly prevent you from properly playing videos on YouTube. As such, it is important that you keep it updated. With that said, the first thing you have to do is check the version of your browser. After that, go online and look for the latest version. Compare the two versions, and if you see that yours is outdated, follow the instructions for updating it. If you do not know how to check your browser version, follow the instructions below.
- Click the More Options button on your browser. It should look like three vertically aligned dots.
- On the drop-down list, click Settings.
- Go to the Settings menu, then click About Chrome. You should see your browser version here.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to More Options by clicking the three vertically aligned dashes.
- Under the left-bar menu, click General.
- Scroll down until you get to Firefox Updates. You should be able to see your browser version here. If it is updated, you should be able to see a note saying, “Firefox is up to date”.
Solution 2: Deleting Cache and Cookies
Over time, your saved cookies and cache can accumulate and may affect your YouTube player. In this case, it would be advisable to delete them to speed up your browser performance.
Keep in mind that the steps vary depending on the type of browser you’re using. We’ve listed below how to fix YouTube by clearing cache and cookies on Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- Click the More Options button which look like vertically aligned dots.
- Under the drop-down list, click More Tools, then click Clear Browsing Data.
- If deselected, click the checkboxes beside “Cookies and other site and plugin data” and “Cached images and files”.
- Choose “the beginning of time” among the obliterate period options.
- Click the Clear Browsing Data button.
- Restart your computer and try playing YouTube videos again.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Click the More Options button which looks like three vertically aligned dashes.
- Under the drop-down list, click Library.
- Go to History, then click Clear Recent History.
- Make sure that the boxes beside Cookies and Cache are checked.
- Click the Clear Now button.
- Reboot your computer and see if this fixes the problem.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
Solution 3: Uninstalling and Reinstalling Adobe Flash Player
In some cases, the problem has nothing to do with the browser, but with your outdated or malfunctioning Adobe Flash Player. As such, the best solution would be to uninstall and reinstall the program. Another key thing to remember is that when you do not have this software installed, you wouldn’t be able to play any YouTube videos at all. So, make sure you have it in your computer.
The app contains no malware and is designed specifically for the problem described in this article. Just download and run it on your PC. free download
Developed by Auslogics
Auslogics is a certified Microsoft® Silver Application Developer. Microsoft confirms Auslogics' high expertise in developing quality software that meets the growing demands of PC users.
Solution 4: Resetting your Internet Connection
Sometimes, Youtube videos aren’t playing due to problems with the Internet connection. An ideal solution for this would be to reset the connection settings. It is definitely worth a try, but you have to know that it is not guaranteed to always resolve the issue. With that said, here are the steps:
- Click the Search icon.
- Type “control panel” (no quotes).
- In the Control Panel, click Network and Internet.
- Click Internet Options. This should open the Internet Properties window.
- Go to the Advanced tab, then click the Restore Advanced Settings button and the Reset button.
- Save the changes by clicking the Apply button.
Solution 5: Speeding up your System
Browser pages can also be affected by a slow Windows system. If neglected, this issue can prevent you from properly playing videos on YouTube. As such, we recommend using a one-click solution like Auslogics BoostSpeed. This tool will thoroughly scan your system and clean out junk files, including web browser cache, temporary files, unused error logs, and unnecessary Microsoft cache, among others.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed 11
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
- 10 years on the market
- 5-star awards from industry experts
- Over 15 000 000 user downloads
With a significant amount of hard disk space reclaimed on your computer, you can enjoy better speed and performance from your unit. In no time, you will be able to play YouTube videos smoothly.
You can also use this smart fix. It is an absolutely safe and free tool designed by Auslogics as well.
Do you think there are better ways to resolve this issue?
Let us know in the comments below!