- YouTube Videos Loading But Not Playing: Top 5 Reasons
- How to Fix YouTube Not Loading
YouTube is the world’s largest video-sharing platform, but sometimes, despite having a stable internet connection, videos may fail to play. The causes of YouTube videos not playing can range from outdated browsers to software problems.
Fortunately, you can use several troubleshooting techniques to identify and fix YouTube videos not playing, depending on the root cause. That’s what this guide is about. We’ll explore the reasons for YouTube videos not playing and find effective ways to fix them.
With that said, let’s begin.
YouTube Videos Loading But Not Playing: Top 5 Reasons
If you’re asking, “Why YouTube videos are not playing on my laptop?” you’re not alone. Unfortunately, there are several reasons why this error occurs. Let’s go through some of the top reasons:
1. No or Bad Internet Connection
If you don’t have a stable internet, YouTube videos might not load and play. The Internet connection icons with an up-and-down-pointing arrow are hidden in this situation.
2. Problems With the Mobile Browser
You may not think much of the YouTube videos not playing on the app’s version. However, the alternative platform may still give you trouble. For example, mobile browsers may have bugs because they are:
- also available as applications,
- slow to load on poor connections, and
- they come with incorrect plugins.
3. The Date and Time Are Out of Sync
Google, the company that operates YouTube, ensures that its mobile apps are always in sync with the time and date on your device. If YouTube doesn’t collect the required data, it may have trouble loading and playing videos.
4. Issues with Video Resolution
Another reason for YouTube not loading videos is that the platform can no longer stream high-definition videos. In other words, you need a fast Internet connection if you want high-quality video. On the other hand, the video might freeze or take forever to load if you have a slow internet connection.
5. Phone Freezes Up
If you don’t know why YouTube not loading videos, it could be that the iPhone or Android phone is frozen. The operating system of an iPhone or Android device may become unresponsive at times. If this happens, wait for a little and then restart your phone.
How to Fix YouTube Not Loading
In this section, we’ll answer the question, “Why is YouTube not loading?” Then, we’ll show you different ways to fix Youtube videos not playing. Go through them and find the one that works. You can also watch the video below to solve the problem.
Note: Before you proceed with the solutions below, we recommend creating a system restore point if something should go wrong.
1. Check the Network Connection
You need a strong internet connection to play your YouTube videos. Videos won’t load no matter what you do if your local internet connection is slow or disconnected. If you’re having trouble with a high-definition or 4K video, this could be the problem.
So you should check your internet speed to determine whether that’s the cause for YouTube not playing video. To do that, open another browser and check how quickly other websites are by refreshing them.
Also Read: Boost Internet on Your PC: Tips on How to Speed Up Your Internet Connection
2. Set the Correct Date and Time
Maybe the date and time were changed without your knowledge, or you recently traveled across time zones. Whatever the reason, you can quickly resolve the issue by adjusting the settings to ensure that YouTube is synced correctly and videos play without issues.
It’s better to use the “Automatic Date and Time” option as it provides greater accuracy than manually setting the time based on another clock. Here’s how to set the correct date and time:
- Select “Adjust date and time” by right-clicking the time and date in the taskbar.
- Next, enable the “Set Time Automatically.”
- Click “Update” and “OK” after selecting “time.windows.com” as the server.
3. Change the YouTube Video Quality
Setting the YouTube video quality high will result in a long loading time if the network speed is slow. Conversely, you can get the video to play by lowering the quality settings on YouTube.
Here’s how to do it:
- First, adjust the video’s settings by clicking the gear button.
- Select “Quality” from the pop-out window
- Choose the lowest quality value of the options provided.
The next step is to test if the video on YouTube loads properly. If this works, you can experiment with higher video quality until you find the maximum your connection can handle.
But if videos still don’t play, you can try the next solution.
Also Read: How to Download a YouTube Video to Your PC?
4. Make Changes on Your Browser
You might have left your computer idle, and the YouTube page simply went into sleep mode. If this is the case, all you have to do is refresh it. Once you do this, you can play the YouTube videos.
On the other hand, if you have an outdated browser, it can prevent you from properly playing videos on YouTube. So you must keep it updated. With that said, the first thing you have to do is check the version of your browser.
After that, go online and look for the latest version. Compare the two versions, and if you see that yours is outdated, follow the instructions for updating it. If you don’t know how to check your browser version, follow the instructions below.
For Edge and Chrome:
- Click the “More Options” button on your browser. It should look like three vertically aligned dots.
- On the drop-down list, click Settings.
- Go to the Settings menu, then click “About Chrome” or “About Microsoft Edge.” You should see your browser version there.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to “More Options” by clicking the three vertically aligned dashes.
- Then, under the left-bar menu, click “General.”
- Scroll down until you get to “Firefox Updates.” You should be able to see your browser version here.
- If it is updated, you should see a note saying, “Firefox is up to date.”
Also Read: How to troubleshoot No Sound on Youtube?
5. Delete Cache and Cookies
Over time, your saved cookies and cache can accumulate and may affect your YouTube player. In this case, it would be advisable to delete them to speed up your browser performance.
Keep in mind that the steps vary depending on the type of browser you’re using. We’ve listed below how to fix YouTube by clearing cache and cookies on Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- Click the “More Options” button, which looks like vertically aligned dots.
- Under the drop-down list, click “More Tools” and “Clear Browsing Data.”
- If deselected, click the checkboxes besides “Cookies and other site and plugin data” and “Cached images and files.”
- Choose “the beginning of time” among the obliterate period options.
- Click the “Clear Browsing Data” button.
- Restart your computer and try playing YouTube videos again.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Click the “More Options” button, which looks like three vertically aligned dashes.
- Under the drop-down list, click “Settings.”
- Go to “Privacy & Security,” then click “Clear Data.”
- Click the “Clear Now” button.
- Reboot your computer and see if this fixes the problem.
Also Read: How to Reduce YouTube Data Usage on a Windows 10 Computer?
6. Speed Up Your PC
Browser pages can also be affected by a slow Windows system. If neglected, this issue can prevent you from properly playing videos on YouTube. As such, we recommend using a one-click solution like Auslogics BoostSpeed.
This tool will thoroughly scan your system and clean out junk files, including web browser cache, temporary files, unused error logs, and unnecessary Microsoft cache.
With a significant amount of hard disk space reclaimed on your computer, you can enjoy better speed and performance from your unit. In no time, you will be able to play YouTube videos smoothly.
You can also use this smart fix. It’s a safe and free tool designed by Auslogics as well.
Several reasons can cause YouTube videos not playing, such as browser issues, outdated software, or problems with internet connectivity. However, you can try various troubleshooting steps in this guide to fix the problem.
By following these tips and taking the appropriate steps, you should be able to resolve most issues with YouTube video playback and enjoy uninterrupted viewing experiences.
Also Read: Fixing Youtube Running Slow on Your PC
Reinstalling flash player worked. Thanks for the tip.