YouTube is one of the most popular video-sharing platforms. You can stream interesting videos and also upload some of your own.
Sometimes, however, an issue where there is no sound only on YouTube could occur on your PC. The experience is rather an unpleasant one. More than a few users have encountered it, and for this reason, we’ll provide helpful solutions to get the problem resolved.
Why Is There No Sound on YouTube?
This problem can arise even if you don’t remember making any changes to your computer settings. It may persist after you’ve turned up the volume on both YouTube and your PC.
There are several factors that may have caused the no audio issue while you are trying to watch a video on YouTube. Some of them include problems with your browser or Adobe Flash Player, site settings, or system sound settings – to mention a few.
But you don’t have to worry. By the time you’ve reached the end of this guide, the problem is sure to be gone. So please, keep reading.
How to Fix No Sound on YouTube
There are more than a few solutions you can try:
- Check your volume settings
- Check your browser
- Clear your browser cache
- Update your sound card driver
- Set your playback device
- Close running programs
- Run the Audio Troubleshooter
- Update Adobe Flash Player
- Check your security software
You can try these fixes sequentially as presented, or you can start with the ones you suspect to be the most likely solutions to your problem.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
But first, make sure that sound is not disabled on YouTube. In the bottom-left corner of your video, ensure that the speaker icon is not disabled. If it is, unmute it and then turn up the volume.
Fix 1: Check Your Volume Settings
The first thing you need to do is check your system sound settings and make sure that everything is in order.
Follow these easy steps:
- Click on the speaker icon in the right-hand corner of your taskbar. Ensure that the Mixer slider is turned up and not on mute.
- Now, right-click on the speaker icon and select Sounds.
- In the window that opens, click the Test button and see if you hear anything.
- Close the window and right-click on the speaker icon once again.
- Select Open Volume Mixer.
- Make sure that the sliders are turned up.
Fix 2: Check Your Browser
The sound issue might be caused by the web browser you are using. It could be having an issue with the installed extensions and plugins. This can cause the YouTube no sound issue to manifest itself.
Restart the browser and reload the video. This might help in resolving the problem.
Also, try playing the YouTube video on another browser. If you have sound, then it means that the problem is definitely browser-related. In that case, perform Steps 4 and 5 from the previous fix and see that the volume mixer slider for the particular browser is turned up.
Afterwards, carry out the suggestions below if you still don’t have sound.
Clear the Browser Cache:
If the volume settings are OK and there’s still no sound, clearing your browser cache and temporary files might help resolve the issue. Although this solution is not so popular, you may want to give it a try.
If you are using Chrome, follow these steps:
- Launch the browser.
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the ‘Advanced’ drop-down to expand it and display more options.
- Scroll down to the ‘Privacy and Security’ category and click on ‘Clear browsing data.’
- Go to the ‘Advanced’ tab and select ‘All time’ under the Time range.
- Mark the checkboxes for the following items:
- Browsing history
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
- Site settings
- Now, click the Clear data button.
Uninstall and Update Your Browser:
If the problem still persists, then you have to consider uninstalling the browser and then installing the latest version.
Here’s how to uninstall a program on your PC:
- Press the Windows logo key + R combination on your keyboard to bring up the Run dialog.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the text box and press Enter or click the OK button.
- In the ‘Uninstall or Change a Program’ window, locate your browser and right-click on it.
- Select Uninstall from the context menu and follow any instructions displayed on the screen.
You now have to install the most recent version of the browser. It is advisable to keep your browser updated. New updates contain patches and features that help boost performance and improve video and audio streaming.
Play your YouTube video and see if the problem has been taken care of.
Fix 3: Update Your Sound Card Driver
If you’ve tried playing your YouTube video on other browsers and notice that the no sound problem happens on all of them, you’ll need to update the drivers of your sound card. But first, make sure that it is enabled.
Follow these simple steps to get it done:
- Open the Run dialog. To do this, go to the Start menu and type ‘Run’ in the search bar. Then click on the option when it appears in the search results. Or to make things easier, just press the Windows logo + R combination on your keyboard.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the text field and press Enter or click OK to open Device Manager.
- Locate ‘Sound, video and game controller.’ Click on the arrow to expand it.
- Now, right-click on your sound device (Realtek High Definition Audio, for instance). Click on ‘Enable device’ from the context menu if the option is present.
- If you find a yellow triangle that has an exclamation mark at the center on any of the listed devices, it means that there’s a problem with it.
- Right-click on it and select ‘Update Driver Software…’ from the context menu.
- You’ll receive a prompt. Select the option that says, “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
- After the update is complete, restart your PC and see if the YouTube audio problem has been resolved.
If the process fails to update the driver, visit the official website of your sound card manufacturer and download the driver from there (note the location where it is saved on your computer). Make sure that the one you get is compatible with your system.
Then follow these steps to install it:
- Go to Device Manager as already shown above.
- Click on ‘Sound, video, and game controller.’
- Right-click on your audio device and select Update driver from the context menu.
- When the prompt comes up, click on ‘Browse my computer for driver software.’
- On the page that opens, click on browse and go to the location where you saved the downloaded driver. Select the driver and then click ‘Open.’
- Click Next and follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
If you are not comfortable with the manual update process, we recommend you use Auslogics Driver Updater to perform the task automatically. The tool recognizes your PC specs and then runs a full system scan to detect all drivers that are outdated, corrupt, incompatible, or missing. It then, with your permission, downloads and installs the latest manufacturer-recommended versions.
It offers the perfect solution for ensuring that you never run into driver-related issues on your computer.
Fix 4: Close Running Programs
It may happen that there is another multimedia program that is running on your PC and interfering with your YouTube video. To fix this, close any open programs and then check if the issue has been resolved. If not, you can move on to the next fix.
Fix 5: Set Your Playback Device
Follow the steps below to ensure that your sound device is selected as default:
- Right-click on the speaker icon displayed in the far right corner of your taskbar.
- Click on Playback devices.
- In the window that opens, make sure that your system speakers are selected as the default device for sound. Your default sound device should have a green circle on it.
- If your sound device is not set as default, click on it and then click the ‘Set default’ button.
- Click OK.
- Afterwards, make sure that the volume is turned up. Click on the speaker icon and adjust the slider.
Fix 6: Run the Audio Troubleshooter
Windows comes with a built-in troubleshooter that you can use to fix the issue you are dealing with. This has worked for many users and might do the trick for you.
Here’s how to run the utility:
- Invoke the Run dialog by pressing the Windows logo + R combo on your keyboard.
- Type ‘Control Panel’ in the text field and click Ok or press Enter.
- Now, go to the search bar and type ‘Troubleshooting.’ Click on the option from the search results.
Alternatively, type ‘control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting’ in the Run dialog box and press Enter to open the Troubleshooting window at once.
- Click on Hardware and Sound.
- Under the Sound category, click on Playing Audio.
- Click the Next button and then wait for Windows to detect possible issues and resolve them automatically. Follow any instructions displayed on the screen.
Fix 7: Update Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player could be the culprit. It is a plugin that your browser uses to stream YouTube videos.
According to some users, the ‘No sound on YouTube’ issue began after they updated Flash Player. To find out if this applies to you, uninstall the updates and then check if that resolves the issue.
- Press the Windows logo key + R combination on your keyboard.
- In the Run box that opens, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and click Ok or press Enter.
- On the left-hand side of the window, click the option that says ‘View installed updates.’
- Locate Flash Player in the list and check the date it was last updated. If it is recent, click on it and select Uninstall.
- Now, try playing your video and see if the issue has been taken care of.
It could also be that Adobe Flash Player is corrupt or outdated. If you didn’t install an update initially, try doing so and see if that helps. Visit the official website to get it done.
Fix 8: Check Your Security Software
If the issue somehow persists after you’ve tried all the solutions presented above, then you need to check your security software (your antivirus program and firewall).
They might be interfering with Flash content, especially if they have a real-time scanning feature that restricts third-party flash content from establishing a connection.
Try disabling your antivirus program temporarily and see if the sound on your YouTube video will come up. If it does, contact the vendor of the program and report the problem to them. They should be able to tell you what to do.
You may also want to consider installing a different security program. We recommend Auslogics Anti-Malware. The tool is one of the best on the market and can even detect malicious items that your current antivirus may miss.
There you have it.
We hope this guide has helped you in regaining the sound on your YouTube video.
If you have any questions, remarks, or further suggestions, please feel free to share them via the comments section below.
We’ll love to hear from you.