Are you having a problem performing the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) boot on your Surface laptop?
When you press the Power and Volume Down buttons, the Windows logo will come up and quickly disappear, but the PXE boot won’t be successful. What a bother! But have no worries, this guide will lead you through the solution. Just keep reading.
How to Fix ‘Surface Laptop PXE Boot Attempt Fails’ in Windows 10
You can use PXE (spoken as ‘pixie’) to boot up a computer remotely via a network interface. The client computer boots from a server, independent of the hard disk and operating system.
Here’s how to get rid of the Surface laptop PXE boot issue:
- Turn off your Surface laptop.
- Once the shutdown is complete, hold down the Volume Up button and press the Power button. Keep holding the Volume Up button until the Windows or Surface logo appears and disappears on the screen.
- You will now be in the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) environment.
- Select the Boot Configuration option in the left pane.
- Select PXE Network under Configure Boot Device Order on the right pane.
- Swipe left. Afterward, the “Boot this device immediately” message will be displayed.
- Click OK to exit the page and initiate the PXE Network boot.
Another way to go about the process is to change the boot order. Bring ‘PXE Network’ to the top of the list:
- Turn off the device.
- Once the shutdown is complete, hold down the Volume Up button and press the Power button. Don’t let go of the Volume Up button until the Surface or Windows logo appears and disappears on the screen.
- Select Boot Configuration on the left pane when the UEFI environment comes up.
- Select PXE Network on the Configure Boot Device Order page in the right pane. Drag the option to the top of the list (that is, above the Windows Boot Manager, Internal Storage, and USB Storage options).
- Attempt the PXE boot again. It will now go through.
There you go. You now know how to PXE boot a Microsoft Surface laptop without running into any setback.
Pro Tip: Many of the issues you face on your PC, such as app and system crashes, slow booting and shutdowns, annoying freezes, and more, can be traced back to corrupt keys and invalid entries in the Windows Registry. They may also stem from accumulated junk files, poorly allocated system resources, and non-optimal system settings.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
On the PC maintenance market, there are quite a number of tools that you can use to run a cleanup, but we strongly recommend Auslogics BoostSpeed. The program performs a deep scan, using precise methods to detect and safely resolve issues that cause your computer to misbehave. It restores the stability of your system and greatly improves your PC’s speed, making it feel like brand new.
You can schedule automatic maintenance to ensure that faults are quickly located and eliminated in real time.
Auslogics BoostSpeed also includes a memory and processor management feature. It allocates system resources to active applications, making sure that you enjoy your usage time without having to endure slowdowns and freezes.