Using one of your devices as a mobile hotspot can be handy, especially when a router is not available. This feature allows you to connect all your gadgets to the Internet. Most of the time, we use our phones or tablets when sharing an Internet connection. However, there are times when your PC is your best option. For example, you’re connected to hotel Wi-Fi and there is a limit on the number of gadgets allowed. Another possible scenario is when you don’t have a guest network at home and you don’t want to give your password out to users who want to connect.
It’s worth noting that the mobile hotspot feature on Windows 10 is far from flawless. Some users complained that when they tried to turn their Win 10 PC into a mobile hotspot, they saw a message which said, “We can’t set up mobile hotspot.” If you’re experiencing the same problem, do not worry because we’re going to help you resolve the issue. By the end of this article, you will learn how to remove the ‘We can’t set up mobile hotspot, turn on Wi-Fi’ error message.
Why Is My Mobile Hotspot Not Working?
There are various possible reasons why you’re experiencing mobile hotspot errors on your Windows 10 computer. For one, there may be issues with your network connection. Another likely culprit is the hotspot settings on your PC. We’re going to share all the solutions you can try to get your mobile hotspot to work normally. By the end of this post, you won’t have to ask, “Why is my mobile hotspot not working?”
Solution 1: Running the Network Adapter Troubleshooter
One of the great things about Windows 10 is it comes with troubleshooters designed for various issues. So, we suggest that you take advantage of the utility intended for fixing network adapter problems. To do that, follow the instructions below:
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Search icon.
- Inside the Search bar, type “troubleshoot” (no quotes).
- Select Troubleshoot Settings from the results. Doing so will bring you to the Troubleshoot section of the Settings app.
- Go to the right pane, then scroll down until you find Network Adapter.
- Select Network Adapter, then click the Run the Troubleshooter button.
Let your system perform a scan. If it detects any issues with your network adapter, it will resolve them accordingly. Remember to follow the on-screen instructions if the troubleshooter recommends additional actions.
Solution 2: Updating Your Network Adapter Driver
Most of the time, issues with network connectivity have something to do with outdated or corrupted drivers. If you don’t have the habit of updating your drivers regularly, then you’re going to experience problems with your mobile hotspot. So, if you want to learn how to fix the ‘We can’t set up mobile hotspot’ error on Windows 10, you must know how to update your network adapter driver. Here are the steps:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+R. Doing so will launch the Run dialog box.
- Inside the Run dialog box, type “devmgmt.msc” (no quotes), then click OK.
- Once the Device Manager is up, expand the contents of the Network Adapters category.
- Right-click your network adapter, then select Update Driver.
- On the new window, select the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
Let the Device Manager search for the latest version of your network adapter driver. That said, do not rely too much on this tool. While it can locate drivers that are compatible with your hardware architecture, it may miss the most recent update for the driver. So, you may still end up searching the manufacturer’s website for the correct version.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
To make things easier, we recommend that you use Auslogics Driver Updater. After installing this software program, it will automatically detect your operating system version and processor type. With a click of a button, you can find the latest driver version for your network adapter. What’s more, Auslogics Driver Updater will resolve all driver issues on your computer. You’ll notice an improvement on your PC’s performance once the process is complete.
Solution 3: Reconfiguring Your Adapter Settings
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows Key+I on your keyboard.
- On the Settings app, select Network & Internet.
- Go to the left-pane menu, then click Mobile Hotspot.
- Move to the right pane, then under Related Settings, click Change Adapter Options.
- Right-click your mobile hotspot adapter, then select Properties from the context menu.
- Go to the Sharing tab, then deselect the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection’ option.
After following these steps, restart your computer and check if the mobile hotspot error is gone.
Solution 4: Checking Your Registry Settings
Before you start tweaking your registry settings, we want to give you a fair warning. You are about to handle a sensitive database. Do note that even the smallest mistake can render your operating system useless. So, you should only proceed if you know that your tech skills are on a par with those of advanced users.
To fix your mobile hotspot issues, follow the instructions below:
- Launch the Run dialog box by pressing Windows Key+R on your keyboard.
- Type “regedit” (no quotes) inside the Run dialog box.
- You need to launch the Registry Editor as an administrator. So, instead of clicking OK, you must press Ctrl+Shift+Enter on your keyboard.
- If prompted to give permission to the app, click Yes.
- Once the Registry Editor is up, navigate to this path:
- Go to the right pane, then right-click the HostedNetworkSettings key.
- Select Delete.
Once you’ve completed the steps, reboot your computer, then try running your mobile hotspot again.
Pro Tip: As you can see, it can be tricky and complicated to tweak the settings in your registry. In this case, your best and safest option is to use a reliable tool like Auslogics Registry Cleaner. This utility can fix any corrupted or invalid keys in your registry without harming your computer. What’s more, the tool has a user-friendly interface, making it convenient for you to resolve any registry-related issues.
Which of the solutions helped you fix the mobile hotspot error?
Share your answer in the comments below!