If “Can I change the Registry Editor font in Windows 10?” is a question that keeps you up at night, then you may rejoice at the following: Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 brought a host of enhancements, including the one that allows you to customize the font type in your Registry Editor. Thankfully, tailoring the tool this way is not rocket science, and yet you should be extremely careful. Please follow our instructions to a T in order to avoid damaging your operating system.
Back up your data
Losing your precious files and folders for good is a real drama – it is probably what you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. With this in mind, make sure your data is kept safe and sound. For example, save your important things to an external storage device or a cloud or migrate them to another machine, just in case.
Back up your registry
Another important precaution to take implies backing up your registry. Doing so allows you to safeguard your system in case disaster strikes: if things go astray, restoring your registry to a previous state might turn out to be the only way to get your OS back on track.
To back up your registry in Windows 10, take the following steps:
- Open Registry Editor: press the Windows logo key + S combo, type ‘regedit’ without quotes and hit Enter. You’ll be taken to the app. However, to get there, you might need to select the corresponding tile from the list of available options. Make sure you remember your administrator password – you might be asked for it. If prompted for confirmation, provide it.
- Once you are in Registry Editor, do the following:
- To back up the entire registry (we recommend that you go for this option), locate Computer in the left pane and right-click it. Select Export from the menu. Give the backup a proper name and choose where to save it.
- To back up a specific key, navigate to it. Click it and then select File->Export. Name your backup copy and save it somewhere safe.
You will be able to restore from your manual backup by opening Registry Editor, going to File > Import and selecting the backup file.
Change the font type in Registry Editor
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to change the Registry Editor font for all users on Windows 10:
- Make sure you are signed in as an administrator – otherwise, you will not have enough rights to perform the operation in question.
- Launch Registry Editor (as described above) and navigate to the address bar.If you cannot resolve the
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
- Paste HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
- Move to CurrentVersion and right-click it.
- Select New. Then click Key.
- This key should be named ‘regedit’.
- Right-click the key.
- Go to New. Select String.
- Name the new string ‘FontFace’ and double-click it.
- Type the name of the font you wish to switch to in the Value data box. To see what fonts are available and what their names are, go to the C:\Windows\Font folder.
- Once you are done, click OK and exit Registry Editor.
Now you should be able to enjoy the change.
Note: Registry Editor is a built-in tool that enables you to make changes to Windows Registry, which is a vital component of your operating system. Technically, Windows Registry is a collection of databases where your important system information, settings, values, and options are stored. They are critical for the operation of your OS; thus, it is essential that your registry be in immaculate condition. To achieve this, you need to ensure there are no invalid, corrupt or faulty entries there.
The problem is, Windows Registry is an extremely sophisticated and fragile system. Working on it requires a great deal of technical mastery, making it difficult for the average Windows user to keep everything in order. In the light of this, automating the job with a dedicated tool is so far the safest bet. However, keep in mind you should use only a trusted tool that has proved its worth in terms of safety and effectiveness. In this regard, we would like to offer you a reliable and efficient program: Auslogics BoostSpeed is equipped with a cutting-edge registry cleaner that will keep your registry in tip-top shape by performing all the necessary cleanups and tweaks.
The best thing about the software is that it is actually a universal solution to the problem of keeping your Windows healthy. The need to maintain its performance manually is now a thing of the past: navigating through Auslogics BoostSpeed’s intuitive interface, you can launch powerful optimization and security tools just by clicking buttons. This way you will tune your Windows OS to its best, paving the way for a stunning user experience.
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, do not hesitate to post them below.