34 comments

Virtual Memory Too Low - Here's How to Fix It

By Liz Cornwell 15 June 2010 in Cleanup & Repair

Windows is full of annoying little errors and "Out of virtual memory" is one of them. Usually your PC starts freezing first. Then an error appears and tells you that your virtual memory is too low. In this article we are going to explain what causes this error and how to fix it once and for all.

What is virtual memory?

Virtual memory, also known as page file or swap file, is a file on your hard disk that Windows uses in addition to physical memory (RAM) whenever the need arises. For example, when you are running an application or a process your RAM can’t handle, virtual memory is there to help. Usually the page file is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory, i.e. a system with 512 MB of RAM will have 768 MB page file.

Why does the "low on virtual memory" error occur?

There are two things that usually cause this error:

• You don’t have enough RAM;
  • An application on your computer is buggy and is causing a memory leak.

How to fix it?

Getting rid of this error is not too difficult, especially if it happens because your computer doesn’t have enough RAM. If that’s the case, all you need to do is add more physical memory to speed up computer performance. If you can’t do it immediately, you can increase the size of the page file. Here’s how to do it:

• Right-click on My Computer and go to Properties.
  • Click on the Advanced tab (or Advanced system settings link if you are using Windows 7 or Vista) and then click on the Settings button in the Performance section.
  • A new window will open. Go to the Advanced tab.
  • Find the Virtual memory section and click on the Change button.
  • Select the System managed size option or manually change the size of the page file.
  • Click OK.

However, if the error is caused by a buggy application, you’ll first need to identify the culprit. To do that, open the Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard) and go to the Processes tab. Then click on View –> Select Columns. Check the Virtual Memory Size checkbox and click OK. Now the Task Manager will be showing how much virtual memory each application is using. If you click on the VM Size column name twice, the processes will be sorted based on how much virtual memory they are using, from largest to smallest. You will instantly see which process in the most hungry one.

Then you’ll need to find the application that’s running the process – some, like firefox.exe, are pretty obvious.

If you are not that familiar with processes, download a program called Process Explorer. It doesn’t require installation – all you need to do is run the .exe file. Basically, this program is a much more thorough Task Manager alternative. Once it’s open, click on View –> Select Columns. Then go to the Process Memory tab and check the Virtual Size checkbox. Click OK. Like in Windows Task Manager, you can sort the results. Every process will have the information about the application running it. If you need even more information, hover your mouse over the process in question.

Now that you know which program is causing low virtual memory, you can try to fix it. First of all try updating the software – usually updates fix bugs like that. If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the application. If that doesn’t work either, contact the software support team and search the Internet for that particular software problem.

Is the question how to make my computer faster still bothering you? Read our other tips and tricks on how to increase computer speed.

Did you like this article?
8446 people rated the article "Virtual Memory Too Low - Here's How to Fix It". Article rating: 4.81.

It’s a pity you didn’t like the article

Please tell us what’s wrong with it. Be specific, and we’ll do our best to make the necessary changes

Thanks for reading!

Hey, but don't keep this article a secret - share it with your friends!
Like Us on Facebook!

About the Author

Liz Cornwell Liz Cornwell
PR specialist at Auslogics. Liz can optimize just about any computer.

Discussion

quick and easy! thanks
DenverJay
December 22nd, 2011 @08:02 pm
Hi Liz,

Thanks for the great article!

I recently receive such message in SQL Server Logs:
There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query.

And I believe it caused the cluster failover.

I checked the pageing file on the server, total paging file size for all drives is 4GB (12 GB RAM). and sqlservr.exe is the top user for Memory Usage & VM Size from task manager (both about 10 GB).

I once discussed the paging file size with our sa, and he thinks 4 GB is good enough.

Can you please give some advise about the err we are getting?
Our system: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Thank you very much for your help!
Sincerely,
Ruth
Ruth Chen
December 28th, 2011 @04:40 pm
Hi Ruth, glad you enjoyed the article!

I'm not an expert when it comes to SQL Servers, but here are some thoughts. From what you've told me, it doesn't sound like you are short of either physical or virtual memory. So could it be one of the following:
- your server needs an update from Microsoft (there was a fix for this issue released in the past). Here is their article about it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982854
- some RAM is used outside of the main pool, so that's a configuration issue

This is all I can think of at the moment. I suggest that you contact Microsoft if the problem persists.
Liz Cornwell
December 29th, 2011 @12:31 am
Haven't tried it yet but will e-mail you with results
Linda Lindsey
February 3rd, 2012 @10:30 pm
thanks for the great article ,
can u tell me if com folder has been created on your hard disk , how it can be deleted
shams
February 11th, 2012 @09:29 am
Hi!

I read this article it helps me a lot, my system is now better than before .
thanks for your help :)
grace
June 9th, 2012 @01:30 pm
Thank you so much for the help !!!
at last my PC is no longer crushing due to low virtual memory :)
andy
June 19th, 2012 @11:18 pm
thanks;-)
yiannis
July 15th, 2012 @06:12 pm
DenverJay, ACTUALLY IF YOU HAVE A THUMBDRIVE(FLASH DRIVE) YOU DONT USE.2 GIG IS PERFECT POP IT IN.DELETE ALL FILES IN THE DRIVE.GO TO START THEN COMPUTER.FIND THE DRIVE RIGHT CLICK ON IT GO TO PROPRETIES.CLICK READYBOOST ON THE TOP OF THE BOX.CLICK USE THIS DEVICE THEN SLIDE BARE OVER TO MAX #.....DONE
RONNY
October 11th, 2012 @12:21 am
Liz,
Thank you every so much, this is excellent information, I have paid hundreds of dollars in the past for this kind of help, which you have given for free! Your site will be the first place I will be looking for any future problems, also I will tell all others to come here for help with their computers.

Thank again!

Jim
Jim McKinley
October 12th, 2012 @09:42 am
Thx for the good article.
I tried and still receiving the same message.
I learned that Virtual mem increases 1.5 when change the Physical mem.
Doest it have any relationship with processor speed?
I purchased RAM of 1GB replacing 256MB ram on a system with 2.27GB GHz and started closing down and opening the computer in every 3 seconds.
I am just computer user and knows litter on operating systems but try.
John
John L
October 20th, 2012 @07:59 am
Hi computer wizards,

Ten "chrome.exe" entries are running at the same time, using up the most the virtual memory. I don't know which one should be deleted. Help! Thanks in advance.
Binh Minh
October 23rd, 2012 @02:18 pm
Sir
i m facing this problem " vitual memory too low " i install fresh windows xp 2006, my required software from new dvd but still facing problem. i format my pc with mbr command also and virus scanned completely. plz help me and give me a this error fixing solution.

regards
safdar
safdar
November 7th, 2012 @05:57 am
If you have aeria games, its that. Dont download it, it for some reason clogs all the memory up.
james
November 11th, 2012 @01:50 pm
i m facing this problem " virtual memory too low " i am installation Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 & auto cad 2013 problem is i am raining stp. file in the software after several
actually window-7 is working is smoothly but start Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 software please help in this problem
irfan khanm
November 24th, 2012 @09:56 am
The most useful, quick and to-the-point computer article i have ever read in a while! Thank you so much, it was really helpful.
Abdou
January 6th, 2013 @11:45 am
tnx for the help, it's most useful
zhee
January 14th, 2013 @12:42 am
I read this article it helps me a lot, my system is now better than before .
thanks for your help :)
narendra
January 21st, 2013 @04:42 am
I bought this computer refurbished it has about 2 gb. of ram. Today is the first time I see the warning low virtual memory. I have the adobe trial on it. It has expired. If I delete the trial cs5 Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver. I mean is the expired versions still taking up memory?
kaye
February 21st, 2013 @10:19 am
Hi! I have a problemwith my laptop, evrytime I run videos in gogle chrome, or internet explorer it will automatic close or crash because of computer low memory, but I only have skype, google chrome, and realplayer program installed. Now can I fix this? Please help me..
apple
February 25th, 2013 @02:07 am
Thank you so much. I am currently low on money and it will take me some time before I can get a new laptop. Your article saved me a lot of bother.
Fitsum
March 14th, 2013 @03:04 am
I have microsoft windows xp professional SP2, hard disk drive (120GB) and 1 GB of ram. i increased Virtual Memory (paging file) to [intial size: 100 MB. maximum size: 4000 MB] on drive that operating system is installed. but with some programs like: Foxit Reader & etc. "out of virtual memory" appears again for me. what can i do?

Thanks!
Shayan
April 4th, 2013 @07:49 pm
Rebuilt my rig in January, from 32 to a 64bit motherboard, 4GB ram, 2 - 4TB hard drives, the latest Radeon video card with 1GB ram onboard and 2 quad Pentium i5 processors. 1 drive runs windows XP 32bit and the other runs windows 7 64bit. The only time I get low low virtual memory is when I run older games like Max Payne. I have more than enough ram to handle the latest games let alone an older one. I upped the virtual memory to 2GB and it still stops and shows the message. I'm at a loss to figuring this out. Can you help?
Ric James
May 26th, 2013 @08:01 pm
i cn not play same games,the game will only show a msg tht says DISPLAY ERROR.hw cn i fix this
kuda
May 31st, 2013 @08:13 am
I was glad to find this article. I have done everything I can to keep my laptop clean and unfortunately, I have no more room for physical memory (RAM) on my computer; it is at it's max. I continue to get this annoying message about my laptop having low virtual memory and it is slowing it down. I followed your tip on how I can fix this size of the virtual memory and looking forward to learning that it does the trick. Thank you!
Happy
July 20th, 2013 @02:09 pm
thanks for the article i have gained alot and let me first try to fix my low virtual memory problem i will tell of the results.
natukunda apophia
July 23rd, 2013 @03:32 am
thanks to the given solution
gopi
February 11th, 2014 @07:39 am
I guess that it would be great to consider your customized help for an in depth adjustment of an xp pc. thanks a lot. Phil
Philippe
March 8th, 2014 @05:47 am
let see if it works...
Achilles88demiGod
April 6th, 2014 @09:22 am
My PC have is running in Intel i5 and it have 6GB RAM and 1GB graphic card but the message of low memories keep appearing when I'm browsing the web using Firefox (usually open around 5 tabs) without any other application running, sometimes it even crashed and automatically close my browser. when I checked, I show me that more than 90% of the RAM is being used up, I try cleaning all the cockies & registry & history & some error(I have anti virus and anti spyware installed )
Tobi
April 8th, 2014 @08:52 am
it was good
Joanne Demasi
May 21st, 2014 @08:38 am
what a nice and slease way of describing
I appreciate it
Thanks!!!
khurram
May 25th, 2014 @02:15 pm
Hello. I'm trying to save my computer myself because I spent alot of money cleaning my computer by a business and my computer is right back doing the same thing, trying to scan and make me buy other programs and I'm not good enough to know better in what to do.

My recent problem is that microsoft essential was stopped and I didn't know that I needed to update and my computer went into a DOS thing updating and now my password was removed and I can't open it to see what I need to update or look into. I need help and good advice please, thanks.
Emma Perry
July 16th, 2014 @10:25 am
I keep getting this virtual memory too low lately, when I click on 'my computer', where is the 'properties' tab? I just see a list of drives????
tamsyn