- What Is the Maximum File Size Notepad++ Can Open?
- How to Open a Large File in Notepad or Notepad++
- Apps You Can Use to Avoid the “File Too Large for Notepad” Error on Windows 10
Notepad++ developers have created an award-winning open-source text and code editor, which has now been downloaded over 28 million times.
When trying to open a large text file, do you face the “file is too big for Notepad” error on your Windows PC? Unfortunately, neither the Notepad application nor its improved version, Notepad++, is designed for such tasks.
However, in this post, you’ll learn how to open a large file in Notepad and Notepad++.
Also, we’ll take you through a list of other exciting text-reader applications that you can try.
What Is the Maximum File Size Notepad++ Can Open?
Here’s what you need to know before solving the “file is too big to be opened by Notepad++”
Notepad++ cannot support text files that are larger than 2GB, whereas Notepad, which is the older version, can only handle file sizes below 512MB.
The reason for this is Scintilla, which is the core component of Notepad++. According to the developers, it is responsible for several aspects of the app’s high-quality text display.
Also, Notepad++ will often require four times the memory space occupied by a text file to enable users to enjoy the advanced features. For example, the OS must allocate 8GB of RAM if the user wishes to open a text file of 2GB using Notepad++.
Consequently, sufficient RAM space is a critical factor for viewing files with the software.
However, in most cases, the OS will decline such demands, resulting in the “file too large” error message. Fortunately, there is a trick to get past that barrier and view big text files without installing other software.
Here’s how to open big files in Notepad++.
How to Open a Large File in Notepad or Notepad++
Below are some simple tricks you can try. However, be reminded that RAM space plays an essential role in how your PC reads text files.
For optimum results, we suggest using a PC optimizer tool to clear out the clutter from your system’s memory. For that, we recommend Auslogics BoostSpeed. With a click, it will scan your system drives and get rid of junk and software leftovers.
Option One: Break the Text File Into Smaller Parts
If the file is above the 2GB threshold, use a site like Split CSV to divide it into portable chunks. Then, open them one after the other on Notepad++.
However, this approach may negatively affect your PC’s performance, resulting in delays.
To circumvent the issue, disable the following:
- plugins involved in scanning and analyzing text,
- syntax highlighting, and
- clickable links.
Here is how:
- Launch the Notepad++ application.
- On the right end of the screen, right-click on the Plugins tab and choose Plugins Admin.
- Then, under the Installed tab, checkmark each plugin.
- Lastly, use the Remove button to delete them.
- To stop syntax highlighting from slowing Notepad++, select the Language tab.
- Now, right-click the N option.
- From the pop-up menu, pick the Normal text configuration. After that, you can rest assured that syntax highlighting is disabled.
- To disable hyperlinks, go to the Preferences option under the Settings tab.
- On the left side, select the MISC tab.
- Finally, under the Clickable Links section, uncheck Enable.
Option Two: Use a Browser App
Opening a large text file via powerful browser software is another brilliant solution to the “file too big for Notepad” issue.
You don’t have to install anything. All you need to do is drag and drop the text onto the browser and let it load.
However, there are not too many browser apps with rich text viewing features, like auto-navigation, code folding, etc.
Option Three: Disable Extra Plugins And Remove Clickable Links Settings
On occasion, additional plugins and clickable links embedded within a text file can occupy substantial space and significantly slow down the loading process of the text document.
Therefore, we recommend considering the deactivation of plugins and clickable link settings within your Notepad++ application on your computer.
Here’s what to do:
- Press the Win key and type Notepad++.
- Choose the Notepad++ app from the search results.
- In the Notepad++ app window opens, go to Plugins.
- Select Plugins admin from the dropdown list.
- In the Plugins Admin window, go to the Installed tab and select all the extra plugins (for instance, Mime tools)
- Click Remove.
- Next, navigate to Settings and select Preferences.
- Under Preferences, go to Cloud & link.
- Unselect the Enable checkbox for Clickable Links Settings.
- Close Settings and restart the app.
Apps You Can Use to Avoid the “File Too Large for Notepad” Error on Windows 10
This app allows you to read large text files of up to 10GB. Also, it has a simple interface that makes it easy to navigate.
However, it is a view-only application and is not suitable for text editing.
2. EditPad Lite
It’s another program that you can use to view big text files. But unlike Large Text Reader, it comes with an in-built text editor, so you can easily modify any data.
There are many other exciting features you’ll find in the EditPad Lite software. For example, the clipboard function makes it easy to access pasted content if you wish to make alterations. Also, with the search feature, you can quickly search for and edit any entry.
Aside from opening large text files, this app allows you to toggle between different modes: Binary, Hex, Text, and Unicode.
Though very simple to use, this tool is suitable for advanced users, such as those working in the data science industry.
The software’s developer describes it as a multi-platform application for searching and browsing through complicated log files. That makes it suitable for programmers and system admins. Another outstanding feature of Glogg is its ability to open text files as large as 16GB.
If you are in the big data or machine learning industry, you might have encountered the “file too big for Notepad” problem while working with large text files. In this article, we’ve outlined different ways to fix the issue. If you find the solutions useful, we’d like to hear from you in the comments section below. Feel free to contact us if you need any assistance. You can also check our blog for other Windows 10 guides.
How to Open a TXT File?
To open a TXT file, you can use a variety of text editors, including Notepad (Windows), TextEdit (macOS), or more advanced options like Notepad++ (Windows) or Visual Studio Code (cross-platform).
Here are the general steps:
Here are the general steps:
Using Notepad (Windows):
- Right-click the TXT file you want to open.
- Select “Open with” and choose “Notepad” from the list of applications.
Using TextEdit (macOS):
- Double-click the TXT file, and it should open in TextEdit by default.
- Using Notepad++ (Windows):
- Open Notepad++.
- Go to “File” > “Open” and browse to the location of your TXT file. Select the file and click “Open.”
How to Split a CSV File Into Multiple Files using Excel?
- Open the large file in Excel.
- Sort the data based on the column you want to use as a basis for splitting.
- Select and copy the data for each smaller portion.
- Paste each portion into a new workbook.
- Save each new workbook as a distinct file.