Did you get blank page printouts when you printed a Word document, or was the printout different from the print preview?
There are many reasons for these problems. Nevertheless, you will learn how to fix “saved word document not showing on print preview” error in this article.
Why Does My Word Document Look Different in Print Preview?
Most times, the error is due to the Word document settings. Microsoft Word has so many settings options that affect how it behaves.
When it comes to problems with print previews and printouts, there are four areas you might want to check for what the cause of the issue is.
They are as follows:
- If the “Picture placeholders” box is checked, inline objects (texts) will be left out in your document’s print preview display. It also means the inline objects will be missing in your printouts.
- If the “show drawings and text boxes on screen” box is unchecked, floating objects (drawings) will not display in the print layout view. Still, the left-out contents will printout when the document is printed.
- Also, if the “print drawings created in Word” box is unchecked, the floating objects will not display in print preview. Also, it will not be printed out.
- If a wrapped image is copied and pasted on the document from an offline webpage, you will not be able to view it unless it is converted to an inline object.
Suppose you attempt to print the document offline while enabling the “Update field” option, the image will be lost.
What if a Saved Word Document Is Not Showing when Printing Out?
If you keep getting blank pages for your document print out, try applying any of the fixes below to resolve the issue.
Enable Word to Print Graphics and Inline Objects
- Navigate File > Options > Advanced.
- Under the Advanced window, click on Show document content.
- Check the boxes next to “Show drawings and text boxes on-screen” and “Show background colors and images in the Print layout view.”
- Uncheck the box next to “Show picture placeholders.”
- To enable graphics printing, navigate File> Options >Display.
- Under the Display window, select Print options, and then check the boxes next to “Print drawings created in Word” and “Print background colors and images.”
- Next, open the Paragraph dialog box from the Home tab and ensure paragraph line spacing is not configured to Exactly.
- If the graphic is an image copied and pasted from a web page, press Ctrl + Shift + F9 after the image is pasted. This will delink the content from the webpage.
Try printing a document now to see if the problem is resolved. If it’s not solved, go to the next fix.
Update the Printer Drivers
Your computer relies on your printer driver to transfer every detail of your documents to the printer for printing. With that said, if your driver is not configured to transmit the font used in your document. For example, the printer will automatically substitute another font for it.
Suppose the printer does not have its font, the printouts would come out blank. That’s why you must ensure you have the latest driver installed on your PC at all times. You can update your device drivers manually or automatically depending on your expertise and the amount of time you are willing to use.
Updating Your Printer Drivers Manually
- In the search box, type “control panel” (no quotes) and click on it from the search result.
- From the Control Panel window, select Device Manager.
- Locate the printer device and expand it.
- From the drop-down list, right-click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software on the next screen.
- Suppose you have already downloaded the updated version from the manufacturer’s website. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Complete the installation process.
Now, try printing out a document to see if the fix worked.
if the driver update made no difference, it might be that the new version is not compatible with your device. In that case, the incompatible driver might introduce a new set of problems altogether).
Updating Your Printer Drivers Automatically
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
Alternatively, you can use a reliable software to search and accurately match your device with the correct driver version. That’s why we strongly recommend using Auslogics Driver Updater.
Auslogics Driver Updater helps take out the troublesome and long process involved in updating your drivers manually. Install the software on your device and you can update all your computer drivers in a single click.
(Note that the free version allows you to upgrade only one driver per hour. With the affordable Pro version, you can update all your computer drivers at once. What’s more, the software keeps working in the background and making necessary changes relative to the drivers).
Fix Microsoft Office
If the above fix fails to work, you can use the in-built auto-repair solution to fix the issue. Some users found this option useful.
To get started, follow the procedures below:
- Press the Start button and select Apps & Features from the menu.
- Expand the Microsoft Office window and choose Word.
- Click Modify, and then select Quick repair from the pop-up dialog box.
- You can choose to run the offline and online Quick fix.
- When the process is completed, check to see if the issue is resolved.
Now that you have applied the methods above, is the print preview displaying correctly, or is the Word document printout accurate? If yes, please leave a comment below. Also kindly reach out to us with more details if the issue persists. Finally, you can visit our blog to read useful tips to resolve other common Windows 10 issues.