When most people think about action cameras, the first name that comes to their minds is GoPro. It is worth noting that this tech company was not the first to manufacture compact cameras for capturing videos and photos in extreme conditions. However, it was the one to make the product more accessible to the general public. To this day, GoPro action cameras remain among the best across the globe.
GoPro is quite popular for outdoor adventurers and athletes because of its rugged, lightweight, and compact qualities. However, because it has features similar to a production camera, it has been used by casual users like vloggers and travelers. Another great thing about GoPro is that you can easily mount it anywhere. It goes without saying that it is perfect for casual photography, daily camera use, and other adventures.
Whatever purpose your GoPro camera serves you, you would want the most efficient and convenient method for transferring files to your laptop. Well, you will be glad that you found this article. In this post, we will teach you how to transfer GoPro files using Wi-Fi to a Windows PC. By the end of this article, you will be able to use your laptop to edit the footage and the photos you captured. We will also share other methods you can use to move GoPro files to your device.
Method 1: Connecting Your Laptop to GoPro’s Wi-Fi Network
One of the great things about GoPro is it creates its own Wi-Fi hotspot. You can use it to connect the device to your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Here are the steps:
- Switch your GoPro camera on, then set it to Wireless Mode.
- Now, go to your laptop and click the Wi-Fi icon on your taskbar.
- Select your GoPro’s Wi-Fi network, then click Connect. If the network is password-protected, submit the appropriate information.
Method 2: Connecting to GoPro’s Web Server
Aside from learning how to transfer files from your GoPro to a laptop via Wi-Fi, it would also be helpful if you knew how to connect to GoPro’s web server. To begin, follow the instructions below:
- On your laptop, open your web browser.
- Now, type the following IP address in the URL bar:
- Go to DCIM links. From there, you will be able to download the files directly.
- Right-click the file you wish to transfer, then select Save Link As from the options.
- Once the new window shows up, choose a destination folder for the file.
- Begin the download process by clicking Save.
If you want to access the settings or view what the camera is streaming, you can try connecting your laptop to GoPro wirelessly. You can also control your camera, using your laptop. Simply follow the steps below:
- After connecting to GoPro’s web server, you need to go to the Love Folder link. Doing so will allow you to see what the camera is streaming.
- Right-click the Dynamic.m3u8 file to view the stream. Make sure you click Copy Link Address.
- Now, go to File.
- Click Open Location from the options.
- Once the Open Location window appears, go to the Movie location, then paste the link you copied.
- Click Open to complete the process. Once you’ve done this, you will be able to control your GoPro, using your laptop.
Pro Tip: If you want to be able to access the GoPro features via your laptop without any hassle, we suggest that you use Auslogics BoostSpeed. What’s great about this tool is it tweaks non-optimal system settings to ensure that most operations and processes run at a faster pace. What’s more, it gets rid of all types of PC junk while resolving issues that may cause application or system glitches and crashes. Once the process is complete, you will be able to view what your GoPro camera is streaming with ease.
Are there other GoPro-related topics you would want us to discuss?
Share them in the comments below and we’ll feature them in our next post!