A popular question users ask is, “Can I replace default Windows icons?” The answer is yes. You can personalize your icons and make your PC look unique.
One way to customize your device is by changing the themes and fonts. But you can take it to a whole new level when you change the default icons.
Not so long ago, this was easily achievable with built-in customization software and icon packs. But now, these programs are no longer there in Windows 10 and Windows 8.
You may be able to find some transformation packs on the internet for your Windows 10 PC. However, it is not advisable to use those since they are sometimes swarming with bugs and other issues that can cause your device to become turbulent.
How to download icon packs for Windows 10
The easiest option is to customize your Windows 10 installation with icon packs. Keep reading to discover what you need to know.
You can download an icon pack from the web. When you do so, all the icons will be stored inside a .zip archive. Windows has the capability to handle this archive. So you won’t have to download any third-party solution.
After you’ve downloaded an icon pack, follow these steps to extract the icons:
- To open the downloaded archive, double-click on it.
- Once it is open, drag and drop the files to a desired location on your hard drive.
Using an icon pack is advantageous since you can download multiple icons at once.
How to change the default icons
After you’ve downloaded and extracted the icons, follow these steps to use them:
To change the icon of any application or shortcut:
- Right-click on it and select Properties from the menu.
- In the window that opens, click on the Change Icon button.
- Click on the Browse button and select the folder that contains your downloaded icons.
- In the Change Icon window, you’ll find that the list of available icons has been updated.
- Select your preferred icon and click on the OK button.
Your application shortcut icon has now been changed.
To change folder icons:
The process is slightly different depending on the folder. But you can use this simple procedure to get results:
- Go to the directory for which you want to change the icon and right-click on it.
- From the menu, choose Properties .
- In the Properties window, click on the Customize tab.
- You’ll see the Folder icons section at the bottom of the page. Click on the Change Icon button.
- You’ll be presented with a list of icons. Select the one you prefer. You can also click on the If you cannot resolve theBrowse button to select a custom icon.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
- Go back to the Change Icon page. Click on the OK button to save changes. On the page, you’ll also find the option to Restore Defaults .
These changes will only apply to the selected folder or file. To change multiple folder icons, you’ll have to repeat the process for each one.
If you are not interested in downloading icon packs, individual icon files are readily available on the internet. You have the option to download icon packs and select the .ico files from them. These can be used in place of your default icons.
There are several icon databases available on the web. All you have to do is look up some of the trusted ones on Google and then select pretty much any icon that suits your fancy.
To find and download an icon, follow these easy steps:
- Go to your browser and visit any website that hosts icons.
- Type in the icon you are looking for in the search bar (e.g. mail, recycle bin, and so on).
- You’ll be presented with a display of icons according to your search criteria.
- Select the icon you prefer.
- You’ll see several download formats. Select .ico from the options.
Note: other formats exist because there are programs you can use to get those icons installed on other versions of Windows.
That’s it. You’ve now downloaded a new icon. As you can see, it’s very easy to do so.
Some websites will give you the option to sort your icons based on size or color.
You’ll have to download icons individually if you wish to change multiple icons on your Windows 10 PC using this method.
If you’d like to create custom icons from images, you’ll need an image converter to do so. A regular image cannot be used as an icon.
Now that you have discovered how to change any icon with ease, it’s possible that your PC will be exposed to malicious items that are now everywhere on the web. It is therefore of prime importance that you keep your device safe with Auslogics Anti-Malware.
Protect PC from Threats with Anti-Malware
Check your PC for malware your antivirus may miss and get threats safely removed with Auslogics Anti-MalwareDOWNLOAD NOW
This tool comes with a very user-friendly interface and is easy to set up and run. It gives you the best protection against malware and data safety threats which your existing antivirus software may not be able to recognize. It is also designed not to interfere with your main antivirus, which means that you’ll have increased protection.
We hope you have found this content useful.
Share your thoughts with us today by leaving a comment in the section below.