It is easier to locate the Volume Control icon in older versions of the Windows operating system. You can go to the System Tray and quickly access the advanced settings of a computer’s volume. On the other hand, on Windows 8 and Windows 10, looking for the volume control can be quite challenging. Consequently, many users have been eager to find tutorials on how to fix the Windows 10 volume control missing problem.
If you share the same dilemma, worry no more. Whether you’re having trouble adjusting the sound levels on your PC or you want to fix the Volume Control keys not working on Windows 10, we’ve got you covered. In this post, we are going to teach you how to access the Volume Mixer or advanced audio settings on Windows 10, 8.1, and 8. Moreover, we are going to help you resolve common issues associated with your computer’s sound settings.
Commonly Asked Questions about the Volume Controls of Windows
- Why has the Windows 10 Volume Control icon gone missing? – A lot of users complained about the Volume Control option disappearing from their PC. In most cases, this issue can be resolved easily. However, it will keep you from adjusting your sound volume.
- Why is Volume Control not opening in Windows? – Users also reported that they couldn’t open the Volume Control settings whenever they clicked the icon. Don’t worry because this is a common issue that you can fix easily, using one of the solutions below.
- How do I adjust the volume levels on Windows 10 if they are greyed out? – When the volume levels are grayed out, you will not be able to change them. We’ve also provided a useful resolution for this problem.
- How do I fix the Volume Control keys not working on Windows 10? – Many users prefer tapping the keyboard controls to change the sound volume on their computer. However, sometimes, the keys for controlling the audio levels can malfunction. This problem is typically caused by outdated or corrupted drivers.
We’re going to share various ways to adjust the sound levels on your Windows PC. Moreover, we will teach you how to resolve the common problems associated with the Volume Control settings.
First Option: Using the Keyboard Buttons
One of the easiest ways to adjust the volume levels of your PC is to press the appropriate keys on your keyboard. Doing so will prompt the Volume overlay to appear on your computer screen. Keep in mind that this method only applies to you if you have the Volume Up and Volume Down keys on your laptop or keyboard.
Some Windows laptops also have a key for Mute. Pressing this key will prompt the Volume overlay to show up on your screen. You can use your mouse pointer to slide the volume level to your desired position.
Second Option: Using the Volume Control Icon
You can also access the Volume Control icon to adjust the sound levels on your computer. Many users prefer this option because for them, it is the simplest and fastest way to change the volume of their PC. You can adjust your sound levels via the Volume Control icon by following these steps:
- Go to the bottom-right corner of your taskbar, then click the Volume Control icon.
- A small window will pop up, and it will offer access to the volume level control.
- Slide the bar to set the volume to your preferred level.
This may be one of the quickest and easiest ways to change the volume level of your computer. However, it is worth noting that it does not offer options for adjusting the volume for individual apps.
Option 3: Using the Volume Mixer
You can use the Volume Mixer to change the volume level of apps individually. This is useful when you want to increase the sound level of one program, then turn the volume down for another app. For example, you can get full audio experience from the game you’re playing while still hearing the notifications from Skype sufficiently. You can access the Volume Mixer by following these instructions:
- Go to the bottom-right corner of your taskbar, then right-click the Volume Control icon.
- Select Open Volume Mixer from the options.
- A new window will pop up. Here, you will see the running applications and their audio levels. You can move the slider up or down for each app if you want to adjust their volume. When you change the sound levels for one app, you won’t affect the audio for the other programs.
Option 4: Using your Driver Software
Another option for adjusting your volume levels is using a third-party software program. There are sound cards and audio drivers that come with their own volume controls. These volume controls are a lot similar to Windows’ Volume Mixer. So, it will be easy for you to navigate through the features.
Most third-party software programs also contain options for sound enhancements. So, if you wish, you can add different effects to the audio. Moreover, these tools come with equalizers that let you optimize the quality of the sound.
Some of these third-party software programs also allow you to save different audio and equalizer settings. With a single click, you can switch between your various sound presets. So, if you are more tech-savvy and you prefer to fine-tune your audio, this option is ideal for you. On the other hand, if you are an average user who simply wants to have an audible sound on their PC, using the Volume Mixer will suffice.
Resolving Common Volume Control Issues
Many users complained about the Volume Control missing or malfunctioning on their computer. In most cases, this issue has something to do with outdated or corrupted sound drivers. One of the best ways to resolve this problem is by updating your drivers. You can perform this task manually, but the process can be time-consuming and even risky. You’d have to go to the manufacturer’s website and look for the right drivers compatible with your system version. If you happen to install the wrong drivers, you might harm your computer.
As such, we recommend opting for a more reliable and convenient solution — Auslogics Driver Updater. Once you activate this program, it will automatically recognize your system version. You only have to click a button and Auslogics Driver Updater will find the right drivers for your computer.
We’d love to hear your thoughts about this article!
Join the discussion in the comments section below!