If you are part of the gaming community, you are probably familiar with Hamachi. Developed by tech company LogMeIn, Hamachi is a popular VPN service that allows users to create private networks with a LAN-like engineering design. It is commonly used for work or for gaming purposes.
Like many tech services and programs, Hamachi also faced challenges when it transitioned to Windows 10. Over the years, many users encountered the “VPN domain’s tap device is down” error. If you’re one of the affected users, do not panic. In this post, we are going to teach you how to fix the VPN Domain’s Tap Device is Down error.
What to do if the VPN Domain’s Tap Device is Down on Hamachi
There are several ways to fix the VPN Domain’s Tap Device is Down error. Work your way down the list until you find the solution that works best for you.
- Running the Diagnostic Tool
- Reinstalling Hamachi
- Uninstalling recently added Windows 10 updates
- Reinstalling the drivers while Hamachi is running
Method 1: Running the Diagnostic Tool
When you’re wondering what to do if the VPN Domain’s tap device is down on Hamachi, the first thing you should turn to is the Diagnostic Tool. You will be able to identify the cause of the issue with the help of this built-in LogMeIn feature. If you see yellow exclamation marks beside the items, there are actions you must take to repair them. Follow the steps below to run LogMeIn’s Diagnostic Tool:
- Launch the LogMeIn Hamachi client.
- Go to Help, then click Diagnostic Tool.
- Click Start.
Follow the on-screen instructions to get rid of the error. On the other hand, if you see that all the items have a green check mark beside them, it means that there are no issues with the components in your computer. Try restarting the application to resolve the issue.
Method 2: Reinstalling Hamachi
Another way to get rid of the error is by reinstalling the Hamachi service client on your computer. Remember to remove all the Hamachi-related files and drivers from your PC before proceeding with the installation process. Here are the steps:
- Go to your taskbar and click the Search icon.
- Type “Control Panel” (no quotes), then hit Enter.
- Click Uninstall a Program under the Programs section.
- Look for Hamachi, right-click it, then select Uninstall from the options.
- Do not forget to open Device Manager to remove all Hamachi-related virtual network adapters.
- Restart your computer, then download and install the latest version of Hamachi.
- If the error persists, try running the installation file without removing Hamachi first.
- Restart your computer.
Method 3: Uninstalling Recently Added Windows 10 Updates
According to some users, the error occurred after they had installed certain Windows 10 updates. After all, Hamachi was functioning perfectly until Microsoft rolled out new patches. So, we recommend uninstalling the updates you recently added to resolve the error. To do that, follow the steps below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+I. This should launch the Settings app.
- Select Update & Security.
- Go to the left-pane menu, then select Windows Update.
- Now, go to the right pane and click Check for Updates.
- Click Uninstall Updates.
- Remove the updates you recently added, then restart your computer.
Method 4: Reinstalling the Drivers While Hamachi is Running
Some users claimed that reinstalling the LogMeIn virtual ethernet drivers while Hamachi is running helps in resolving the error. So, it would not hurt if you tried the same solution. Just go to Device Manager and remove all the associated network adapters. Reinstall them, then check if the error is gone.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
Pro Tip: After getting rid of the VPN error, we suggest updating your drivers to ensure that your computer will operate smoothly while you’re using Hamachi. There are various ways to update your drivers, but the most convenient and reliable way to do so is by using Auslogics Driver Updater. This tool allows you to update all your drivers with one click of a button. So, you do not have to spend so much time scouring the Internet for the latest manufacturer-recommended versions for your drivers.
Let us know how we can improve this article.
Join the discussion below and share your thoughts!