It is true that Microsoft regularly pushes updates that will fix bugs and errors on the Windows 10 operating system. However, there are times when these updates cause more harm than good to PCs. One of the possible errors you may encounter is the hex code 0xc000021a. This error typically comes in the form of a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), and it may damage the internal structure of your operating system.
While the Installation Error 0xc000021a is rare, its problems may escalate quickly. Due to the gravity of this issue, it can be challenging to address it. However, you should not worry because we will teach you how to easily fix the BSOD Error 0xc000021a on Windows 10.
Why Do I Get the Windows 10 Install Error 0xc000021a?
Most of the time, the Error 0xc000021a appears when users upgrade their operating system to Windows 10. This BSOD error prevents users from booting their computer properly. There are various reasons for this issue. It is possible that your peripheral devices are interfering with the startup process. Aside from that, some crucial system files responsible for login and logout operations could be corrupted, missing, or damaged.
Whatever caused the Error 0xc000021a, you should not panic because we have plenty of solutions for you. In this post, you will find useful tips on how to fix the Error 0xc000021a on Windows 10.
First Method: Unplugging External Devices
As we’ve mentioned, it is possible that peripheral devices are causing critical system errors on your computer. They may be interfering with the startup process, causing the Error 0xc000021a to appear. So, we recommend unplugging all the external devices connected to your PC. Try booting your system, then check if the error persists. If it is gone, then it means that one of the devices is causing the problem. Plug the devices one by one and try restarting your computer until you determine the culprit. Once you’ve found the faulty peripheral device, you can replace it with a new one.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed 11
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
Second Method: Booting Windows Without the Driver Signature Enforcement Feature
Booting into Safe Mode is a great way to troubleshoot various errors on Windows 10. For this particular issue, it is best that you boot your OS with the Driver Signature Enforcement feature disabled. This feature is a security measure that prevents drivers that are not digitally signed from running on Windows 10. That said, it can cause the Error 0xc000021a to appear. So, you need to disable it when booting into your system. Here are the steps:
- Press Windows Key on your keyboard.
- Press and hold Shift, then click the Power icon.
- Select Restart. These steps should let you boot into the Recovery options menu. If you do not see this feature, you may need to boot your system through a Windows bootable USB drive.
- Once you are inside the Recovery options menu, follow this path:
Troubleshoot ->Advanced Options ->Startup Settings
- Select Restart.
- Once your computer restarts, press F7 to select the ‘Disable driver signature enforcement’ option.
After performing these steps, you should be able to access various features in your system, allowing you to troubleshoot the problem.
Third Method: Running an SFC Scan
As we’ve mentioned earlier, it is possible that system files crucial to the startup process have been corrupted. Thankfully, Windows 10 has a utility that is specifically designed to fix issues like this. The System File Checker (SFC) can detect faulty system files and repair or replace them accordingly. Here are the steps to running an SFC scan:
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Search icon.
- Inside the Search box, type “Command Prompt” (no quotes).
- From the results, you will see Command Prompt. Right-click it, then select Run as Administrator from the options.
- Once Command Prompt is open, paste the command line below and press Enter:
The System File Checker will begin the scanning and repair process. Once it is complete, restart your computer and check if the error is gone. If it persists, try the next solution.
Fourth Method: Running a DISM Scan
- You need to run Command Prompt with administrative privileges. To do this, follow Steps 1 to 3 from the third solution.
- Inside Command Prompt, type “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” (no quotes).
- Press Enter on your keyboard to run the command.
The DISM scan process will now begin. Keep in mind that this usually takes about 20 minutes to complete. So, be patient and do not interfere with it.
Fifth Method: Rebuilding the Boot Configuration Data
It is possible that the boot sector has been corrupted or deleted, which is why your computer is unable to read the installation setup in a repeated sequence. In this case, you need to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD). If the Error 0xc000021a appears while you’re trying to upgrade your OS, rebuilding the BCD will allow you to load the installation files seamlessly. To begin, follow the steps below:
- Plug the Windows 10 bootable drive, then restart your computer.
- Set the bootable drive as the primary boot device. You can do this by entering the Boot menu or by accessing the BIOS settings. Once you’ve done this step, the installation files will start to load.
- Select your preferred language, keyboard input, and date/time. Click Next to proceed.
- Go to the bottom-left corner, then select Repair Your Computer.
- Choose Troubleshoot, then select Advanced Options.
- Launch Command Prompt.
- Run the following command lines one by one:
After running the command lines above, you should be able to begin the Windows 10 installation process.
Sixth Method: Checking the Health of Your HDD
If you’ve tried the solutions above and the Error 0xc000021a persists, it is possible that there is something wrong with your HDD. So, we recommend that you run some diagnostic tests to identify bad sectors or damages. There are plenty of third-party tools that you can use to fix this problem. However, you always have the option to use Windows 10’s built-in utility for checking HDD problems. You can begin the process by following the instructions below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+E. Doing so will launch File Explorer.
- Right-click your system partition, then select Properties.
- Once the Properties window is up, go to the Tools tab.
- Under the Error Checking section, click the Check button.
Let the utility scan for HDD issues. It will also fix the problems automatically.
Seventh Method: Disabling Certain Services
It is possible that certain services are interfering with the update process. As such, we recommend that you disable them on startup. Here are the steps:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+R. This should open the Run dialog box.
- Inside the box, type “msconfig” (no quotes), then click OK.
- Once the System Configuration Window is up, go to the Services tab.
- Make sure that the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ option is deselected.
- Click Disable All.
- Click Apply.
- Now, go to the Startup tab.
- Click the Open Task Manager link.
- Once you’re inside the Task Manager, disable the processes one by one.
- Exit the Task Manager then click OK on the System Configuration window.
- Restart your computer.
Once you boot into the system, check if the Error 0xc000021a is gone. If it is gone, then it is likely that one of the services is interfering with the update process. In this case, we recommend enabling the services one by one and restarting your computer until you determine the culprit.
Pro Tip: After getting rid of the Error 000021a, you would want to commence the update installation with ease. To ensure that your computer is ready for the process, we suggest that you use Auslogics BoostSpeed. This tool has a reliable and efficient cleaning module that will sweep out all types of junk, including web browser cache, temporary files, and leftover Windows Update files, among many others. It will also help restore system stability by carefully removing corrupt keys and invalid entries from the registry. After the process is complete, you will notice a significant improvement in the performance of your computer.
Can you think of other methods for resolving the Error 0xc000021a?
Do not hesitate to share them in the comments section below!