Windows updates are supposed to improve the operating system’s performance. However, in some cases, they bring issues that affect user experience. For instance, when the Windows 10 KB4023057 update patch was released, many users complained that it caused their PCs to slow down. Apparently, the Sedlauncher.exe program occupies much of the disk space.
It can be frustrating when the Sedlauncher.exe is consuming your RAM, especially since it leaves little memory for running other tasks like opening a webpage or playing a video. So, it is essential that you learn how to resolve the Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue on Windows 10.
What is the Sedlauncher.exe Program?
Microsoft announced that the Windows 10 KB4023057 update patch would enhance the service components’ reliability. The patch offers reliability improvements for the following versions of the Windows 10 operating system:
Program files like the Sedlauncher.exe are bundled with the KB4023057 update patch. This file is supposed to ensure that the update process for the OS will run smoothly. Consequently, users will be able to install the latest version of Windows 10 without worrying about unexpected errors.
A component of the Windows Remediation Service, the Sedlauncher.exe protects and improves the speed of the Windows 10 update process. It is worth noting that this program file is digitally signed, which means that it is not a virus infecting your operating system. On the other hand, you might still want to know how to decrease the CPU usage of the Sedlauncher.exe.
How to Resolve the Sedlauncher.exe High Disk Usage Issue on Windows 10
The Sedlauncher.exe is a crucial component of the KB4023057 update patch, which means it also plays an essential role in updating Windows 10. However, if you notice that it is using too much CPU, you would want to temporarily disable it. Many believe that what causes this problem is the KB4023057 components trying to access the Internet.
As we’ve mentioned, the Sedlauncher.exe is a part of the Windows Remediation Service. So, if you want to learn
how to decrease the CPU usage of the Sedlauncher.exe
, you also need to know how to switch off the Windows Remediation Service. Don’t worry because, in this post, we will show you the steps.
Method 1: Disabling the Sedlauncher.exe via the Task Manager
One of the ways to disable the Sedlauncher.exe is by ending the process via the Task Manager. Here are the steps:
- Go to your taskbar, then right-click the Windows icon.
- Select Task Manager from the options.
- Once the Task Manager is up, scroll down until you find the Windows Remediation Service.
- Right-click the Windows Remediation Service, then click End Task.
- Restart your computer to let the change take effect.
Since you disabled the Windows Remediation Service, program files—including the Sedlauncher.exe, Rempl.exe, Sedsvc.exe, and WaaSMedic.exe—will not function. Consequently, you will notice an improvement in your computer’s performance.
Method 2: Turning off the Sedlauncher.exe via the Services Utility
Another option for disabling the Sedlauncher.exe is by using the Windows Service management tool. To begin, follow the instructions below.
- Launch the Run dialog box by pressing Windows Key+R on your keyboard.
- Inside the Run dialog box, type “services.msc” (no quotes).
- Once the Services utility window is up, scroll down until you find the Windows Remediation Service.
- Right-click it, then select Properties.
- Now, go to the General tab.
- Click the drop-down list beside Startup Type, then choose Disabled from the list.
- Go to the Service Status section, then click Stop.
- Click OK and Apply to save the changes you made.
- Note: If you’re also experiencing the WaaSMedic.exe high CPU usage issue, you can also use the Services utility to fix it. Simply look for the Windows Update Medic Service, then use the same steps you followed for disabling the Windows Remediation Service.
- Restart your computer, then check if the Sedlauncher.exe issue persists.
The app contains no malware and is designed specifically for the problem described in this article. Just download and run it on your PC. free download
Developed by Auslogics
Auslogics is a certified Microsoft® Silver Application Developer. Microsoft confirms Auslogics' high expertise in developing quality software that meets the growing demands of PC users.
Method 3: Using Anti-Virus Programs to Block the Sedlauncher.exe
It is true that the Sedlauncher.exe plays a crucial role in the KB4023057 update patch. However, once you’ve installed that patch, it is best that you disable the program file to prevent it from consuming too much CPU. One of the options to do this is by using your Firewall or a third-party anti-virus. Since the Sedlauncher.exe won’t be able to go through your Firewall, it won’t be able to run and use your CPU.
Method 4: Performing a System Restore
The great thing about Windows 10 is it allows you to bring your OS back to an error-free, functional version. You can use a previous restore point to resolve the Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue. Don’t worry about losing your personal files or data because this method will only affect the system files. Here are the steps:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+S.
- Inside the Search box, type “Restore” (no quotes).
- Select Create a Restore Point from the results.
- Now, click the System Restore button.
- Click Next to begin.
- Look at the timestamps of the restore points. Choose an option wherein the issue did not exist.
- Click Next to start the system restore process.
These methods should be able to help you resolve the Sedlauncher.exe high CPU usage. However, if you’ve tried all of them and yet your computer is still slow, then it is likely that something else is causing the problem. In this case, we recommend that you use Auslogics BoostSpeed.
After installing Auslogics BoostSpeed, it will perform a comprehensive checkup of your entire system. It will look for speed-reducing issues and junk files. It uses precise techniques in identifying problems on Windows 10 computers. You will be able to get rid of the issue safely with no risk of damaging your operating system.
It is worth noting that Auslogics BoostSpeed has a powerful cleaning module that effectively sweeps out all kinds of PC junk, including web browser cache, unused error logs, and leftover Windows Update files. Once you’ve reclaimed gigabytes of hard disk space on your PC, you will notice a significant improvement in its performance.
What do you think of the Windows Remediation Service and the Sedlauncher.exe program?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.