Since the release of the much-awaited Cyberpunk 2077, a lot of Windows 10 users have come forward to complain about how they often encounter an error that says the game has flatlined. The frustrating problem occurs at startup or during gameplay. Since you are here, we assume you would like to learn how to fix “Cyberpunk 2077 has flatlined” on Windows 10.
The problem is an easy one to fix. In this guide, we’ll show you what usually triggers the error and the steps you can take to resolve it.
What Causes the Error “Whoa! Cyberpunk Has Flatlined”?
If your CPU doesn’t support the AVX instruction set, the flatline error will occur. That also means your CPU is old, as only processors launched after 2011 support AVX.
In that case, you will have to upgrade your processor. But that might not be necessary, as we already have a fix for such CPUs—you’ll see more details on that below.
However, the primary source of the error is usually a single file in the game package. The means of identifying the file vary. But if you are using the Steam library to launch the game, you can quickly identify this file using the “Verify integrity of game files” feature.
Cyberpunk 2077 Has Flatlined in Windows 10: Fixes and Workarounds
Here are some fixes you can try to resolve the issue:
1. Restart your PC
It would help if you considered restarting your PC before trying any of the fixes discussed here. Restarting your PC is not only a simple way to shut down any unnecessary program, but it is also a smart way to relax your system components.
2. Disable background programs
Unnecessary third-party programs that are running in the background might be causing the issue in question. Go to the Task Manager and disable any RGB program, such as MSI Afterburner, and any other memory-consuming software running in the background. That way, more processing capacity will be available for the CPU. Start the game to see if the issue is resolved, or go to the next method.
3. Update your graphics card drivers
If the above fixes fail to work, your graphics card driver might be outdated or missing some files. You’ll need to update it to the latest version or do a complete re-installation – although that would be a tedious and time-consuming process.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
It’s easier if you use an automated tool such as Auslogics Driver Updater. With a few clicks, you can seamlessly update your graphics card driver to its latest version. And not just your graphics card driver – you can also update other drivers on your PC in just one click.
It will save you the time you would have spent searching for a safe and compatible driver update to install on your PC. Besides, you can get started right away with the Free version or jump straight to the Pro version for more advanced features.
4. Enable Debug mode
If you have the latest version of an Nvidia driver installed and the problem persists, try enabling the Debug mode through its control panel by following the steps below:
- In the control panel, select Help, and then check the Debug mode option.
- Click OK to save the changes, and then relaunch the game.
If the issue reoccurs, try the next fix.
5. Use a hexadecimal editor to fix the issue
Try this method if, in addition to the flatline error, you also face an error that says, “EXCEPTIONAL_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D)”. If it’s your first time working with a hexadecimal editor, you should skip this method. Otherwise, you can use the instructions below:
- First, ensure a hexadecimal editor is available on your computer.
- Locate the Cyberpunk.exe file and open it with the editor.
- Find 554881ECA00000000F2970E8 and set it to C34881ECA00000000F2970E8.
- Then proceed to install the file.
This fix should make it possible to run the game even if your CPU doesn’t support AVX. However, it doesn’t completely replace the need for a CPU that supports the AVX instruction set.
If you are a Steam user experiencing the “flatline” error, you will find the following guide useful in resolving the issue.
How to Fix the “Cyberpunk 2077 Has Flatlined” Steam Crash Bug
Disable the Steam Overlay
When you launch the game with Steam, the Steam Overlay feature starts itself automatically. Some users resolved the issue by disabling this feature. Follow the steps below to disable it:
- Click Settings in the Steam window.
- Locate “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game” under the In-Game tab and uncheck the box next to it.
- Click OK to save the changes.
If you are using the Geforce Experience overlay, you should also disable it.
Install Visual C++ Redistributable
Like most games, Cyberpunk 2077 requires a supporting program to run smoothly. Visual C++ Redistributable is one of such programs. To know if you need to install it, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on Cyberpunk 2077 from the Steam library and select Properties.
- Click the Local Files tab and select Browse Local Files.
- Then locate the game’s file with the .exe extension and double-click to launch it.
- If you get an error telling you “vcruntime140_1.dll” or “MSVCP140.dll” is missing, then you need a support program.
- Once you download and install the program, relaunch the game directly from its executable file.
- If the issue persists, go to C: Users\ “your username” \ AppData\Local| CD Projekt Red\ Cyberpunk 2077.
- Delete the file in the folder and relaunch the game.
That should fix the issue.
Verify the integrity of the game files
Using this feature will help you identify corrupt files in the game and troubleshoot them. To verify the integrity of the game files, use the guide below:
- In the Steam library, locate and right-click Cyberpunk 2077 and select Properties from the pop-up menu.
- In the next window, select “Verify Integrity of Game files” under the Local Files tab.
- Steam will run the verification process and replace corrupt and missing files with their latest authentic versions from its servers.
That should stop the flatline error from recurring.
If you find this guide useful, please leave a comment below. However, if the “flatline” problem persists even after following the directions above, don’t hesitate to contact us to assist you further. Also, make sure you visit our blog often to keep abreast of Cyberpunk fixes and developments.