While the Internet is a gateway to a world full of possibilities, it can be a dangerous and scary place to be in. You can be vulnerable even without visiting a webpage. Sometimes, you can be exposed to threats and attacks just by connecting to a Wi-Fi network. So, how can you protect your privacy? Is there any way to know how to protect a wireless connection?
If this is your concern, you will be glad you found this article. In this post, we will share the top 5 ways to secure Wi-Fi networks. Make sure you try our tips to ensure that your online activities stay safe.
First Method: Changing your Wi-Fi Password on a Regular Basis
Most users who know how to protect a Wi-Fi connection understand the importance of changing their network’s password regularly. If you are not aware of the steps, you can check out this guide:
- Switch on your Windows PC, then connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
- Now, you need to summon the Run dialog box. To do that, you must press Windows Key+R on your keyboard.
- Inside the Run dialog box, type “cmd” (no quotes), then hit Enter. Doing this will launch Command Prompt.
- Inside Command Prompt, type “ipconfig” (no quotes). Press Enter to proceed.
- Look for your wireless network adapter. Write down the Default Gateway address under it.
- Now, launch your web browser. Click the address bar, then paste the Default Gateway address.
- Hit Enter on your keyboard.
- Log into your router.
- Since you need to change your password, you must go to the Wireless Security Settings section.
- Note: In some cases, the password information is not located in the Wireless Security Settings section. So, check your router manual to know how you can access this.
- Change your password after choosing the WPA2 option for your wireless security. Make sure you use a strong password to protect your network from hackers.
- Save the changes you’ve made.
Remember to change your password once every couple of months. Doing so prevents it from getting cracked.
Second Method: Updating your Router Firmware
If you want to know how to secure a router, you must learn how to update its firmware. Here are the steps:
- Connect your Windows PC to your Wi-Fi network.
- Visit the website of your router’s manufacturer.
- Search for your router model, then go to the firmware download page.
- Download the latest firmware update.
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Search icon.
- Type “run” (no quotes), then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Once the Run dialog box is up, type “ipconfig” (no quotes), then click OK.
- Take note of the Default Gateway address that you see below your wireless network adapter.
- Launch your web browser, then type the Default Gateway address in the address bar. Press Enter to proceed.
- Log into your router, then go to the Administration or Tools section.
- Go to the Firmware Upgrade section. If you do not know where this is located, we suggest checking your router manual.
- Select the firmware update you recently downloaded.
- Click Upgrade, then wait for the process to complete.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
Third Method: Switching to a Better Wireless Router
You may know all the tips on how to secure your Wi-Fi network. However, if you have an outdated router that does not support the latest features for security, you won’t be able to reinforce your network’s protection. So, to take advantage of more secure encryption methods and more effective firewalls, we suggest switching to a new router.
Fourth Method: Using a VPN
By using a Virtual Private Network (VPN), you will be able to browse the Internet anonymously and securely. Since you are not transmitting your personal data, you are lowering the risk of compromising your information. You get the same benefits even when you are using a public network.
The first way to use a VPN is by setting up your own server and connecting your computer to it. However, you must know that the process of configuring the connection can be quite complicated. You will need advanced tech skills to accomplish it. The easier and more convenient option is to use a VPN service. For a fee, you will be able to use this service and connect to the Internet securely and anonymously.
Fifth Method: Connecting to the Right Network
When you are connecting to a public Wi-Fi network, you must ensure that you are accessing the right one. It is worth noting that hackers use fake networks as a trap for unknowing victims. So, make sure you are aware of the correct SSID of the network before you try to connect to it.
Moreover, you must check if the public Wi-Fi network you’re trying to access has some security features. For instance, you will know that it is secure if it requires you to complete an authentication process, or to submit a password.
Pro Tip: If you want to reinforce the security of your computer, we recommend using Auslogics Anti-Malware. This tool can scan your browser extensions, preventing data leaks. Moreover, it detects cookies that track your activity and collect your personal data. In this way, you will be able to have the peace of mind knowing that your browsing activities are safe and secure.