If you usually print on different paper sizes or color settings, you’ve probably asked, “>Can I install the same printer more than once in Windows 10?>” Well, you will be delighted to know that the answer is ‘yes’.
This setup has been possible for quite some time. On Windows XP, the process was easier because users were free to create new printer devices by copying and pasting their existing ones. The procedure might be a little bit tedious on Windows 7 and Windows 10. However, installing the same printer more than once is still possible. In this article, we will show you how.
Finding your Printer’s Port and Driver
If you’re going to manually install a printer more than once, you must determine which port and driver your printer is using. You can get this information by following the instructions below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+S.
- Type “control panel” (no quotes), then hit Enter.
- Go to Hardware and Sound, then select Devices and Printers.
- Look for the printer you want to copy. Right-click it, then choose Printer Properties.
- Go to the Ports tab, then note the selected printer port. This should be the port you will choose once you add the printer.
- Go to the Advanced tab, then look at the name beside Driver. This should be the driver you will select once you install the printer again.
- Close the window by clicking Cancel.
Pro Tip: To ensure that printing will be free of issues, make sure you update or repair your drivers. You can manually do this, but we advise against it. After all, the process can be complicated and time-consuming. If you choose this option, you will have to go to the manufacturer’s website to find the right printer drivers for your system. If you install the wrong version, your computer may suffer from system instability issues.
As such, we recommend automatically updating your drivers. You will find several tools designed for this purpose online. However, we know that you can trust Auslogics Driver Updater to do the job efficiently and accurately. Once you activate this program, it will automatically recognize your system. Moreover, it will look for missing, outdated, or corrupted drivers.
You won’t have to risk installing the wrong drivers as well. Auslogics Driver Updater will look for the latest manufacturer-recommended versions. The tool will also perform the task of downloading and installing the drivers for you. The best part is, Driver Updater will address all driver-related issues—not just the ones associated with your printer. Once the process is complete, your PC will perform faster and more efficiently.
Auslogics Driver Updater
Based on 1694 reviews on Trustpilot
Philip Burridge, satisfied user of Driver Updater:
“I just want to take the opportunity to say how much I like BoostSpeed and Driver Updater. I thought my system was pretty well maintained until I used them, especially Driver Update. Cracking pieces of software. ”TRY IT NOW
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
Installing a Copy of the Printer
Now that you have the information you need, you can now install the same printer twice. Essentially, you are creating a new virtual device in Windows. It has its own printing preferences, but it still points to the same physical printer. To initiate the process, follow the instructions below:
- Click the Search icon on your taskbar.
- Type “control panel” (no quotes), then press Enter.
- Select Hardware and Sound, then click Devices and Printers.
- Click the Add a Printer button.
- Manually add the printer by clicking ‘The printer that I want isn’t listed’.
- Choose ‘Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings,’ then click Next.
- Make sure that the ‘Use an existing port’ option is selected.
- Click the drop-down list, then choose the port which your printer is using.
- Select the appropriate driver, then click Next.
- Choose the ‘Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)’ option, then click Next. Doing this will ensure that the printer device you’re creating will use the same port and driver as the original copy.
- Type a name for the printer, then click Next to proceed. Choose whatever name you like, but we recommend using one that will help you distinguish it from the original printer settings.
- The final step is to choose whether you prefer activating printer sharing or not. Click Next.
Using your Newly Set Up Printer Device
Once you try to print a file, you will see the new printer device as one of the available options. You assign a different preference to every device by clicking Preferences. After choosing the settings, Windows will remember your selection separately.
You can also change the name of each printer. Simply right-click a device, then select Rename. As we’ve mentioned, it is ideal to choose a name associated with the device’s corresponding settings. For instance, if you’re using one device for high-detail, colored printing, name it accordingly. Now, you will not have to go back and forth just to change your printer settings. Just select the appropriate virtual device and print in various settings through one physical unit.
Have you tried installing the same printer twice?
Share your experience in the comments below!