Sometimes when using Windows Update or trying to upgrade your Windows, you may encounter the 0xC1900209 error code. This type of error occurs when there is an application on your PC that is interfering with the upgrade process.
In this article, we are looking at how you can resolve the update error c1900209 and proceed with upgrading your system without any interruptions.
How to fix error 0xc1900209 on Windows 10?
If the reason behind the c1900209 error is an incompatible application, the solution seems to be obvious: you need to delete the faulty application. The problem is: how do you know which application is causing the issue?
Sure, you can start deleting suspicious applications one by one and checking if the problem has been resolved — but it’s hardly a time-efficient solution. Fortunately, there is a tool that can help you identify the culprits — it’s called the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK).
Before you can proceed with using the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit to find misbehaving applications, you will need to download and install SQL Server 2016 Express — the ADK will use the SQL Server database to store data.
Here’s how to download and install the SQL Server 2016 Express:
- Go to Microsoft’s official website and download the SQL Server installer.
- Run the program.
- The installer will give you three options when installing the SQL Server. It is recommended that you choose the Basic option.
- Accept the License Agreement, click Install and wait till the installation completes.
Your next step would be to install the ADK tool itself:
- Download the ADK installer from Microsoft’s official website.
- Run the Installer and follow the instructions.
- When you get to the window that will ask you to Select the features you want to install, make sure to choose Application Compatibility Tools and uncheck everything else. Application Compatibility Tools is the only feature of the ADK that you will need to solve the c1900209 error.
- Wait for the installation process to complete.
Now that you have successfully installed the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit, you can use it to fix the c1900209 error.
Protect PC from Threats with Anti-Malware
Check your PC for malware your antivirus may miss and get threats safely removed with Auslogics Anti-MalwareDOWNLOAD NOW
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
Here’s how to do that:
- Go to Start and type Compatibility Administrator in the search bar.
- Run the Compatibility Administrator.
- In the menu bar, click Search and select Fixed Programs.
- Click Find Now. The tool will now go through your programs and try to match them with a database of apps causing compatibility issues. Once the process is complete, you will see the list of applications in the bottom pane of the window.
- Double-click on the first item on the list.
- You will now be taken to the main section of the program with a selected entry.
- Right-click on the chosen item and copy it.
- Now, scroll down the list on the right and, under Custom Databases, look for an entry called New Database.
- Right-click New Database and paste the copied entry.
- You will need to repeat the above steps for each item on the list of application.
Users running a 64-bit Windows will need to go through a few extra steps. As your version of Windows stores applications not only in the Program Files folder but also in the Program Files (x86) folder, you will need to search for potential compatibility issues in that folder as well. In order to do that:
- In the top right corner of the Compatibility Administrator tool, click Browse.
- Select the Program Files (x86) folder.
- Go over the same steps as listed above (from step 4 to step 9).
That should do it. We hope you have successfully fixed the c1900209 error and can now use Windows Update and upgrade your system.
Finally, we recommend you have a reliable anti-malware program installed on your PC as the c1900209 error (as well as a variety of other errors and glitches) can result from malicious items hiding in your system. A program like Auslogics Anti-Malware can keep your PC secure by detecting and removing harmful programs before they cause damage to your system.
Do you use Windows Update often? Have you encountered any other issues when using the application? Share in the comments below.