Experiencing annoying errors seems to be inevitable in Windows 10. You might think your computer is perfectly fine, only for it to start throwing up errors. The “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error is among the most recent issues that many Windows 10 users have been facing today. Windows users say that the error usually occurs after they boot up their computers, but it can appear anytime, no matter what task is being performed.
The error displays the following message on your PC screen:
“Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme. Do you still want to save the theme?”
This message can be very confusing since it pops up even when you are not trying to change your theme or tweak any related settings.
If this error randomly appears on your PC screen and distracts you when you are trying to work, then this article is for you. In today’s post, we will discuss how to remove the ‘Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme’ error message in Windows 10.
What Causes the “Windows Can’t Find One of the Files in This Theme” Error?
Different factors may cause the error, the primary ones being
- corrupted Windows system files,
- poorly installed updates,
- your active theme glitching, and
- using a custom screensaver.
How to Fix the “Windows Can’t Find One of the Files in This Theme” Error
Since varying factors can cause this error, you need to try different troubleshooting methods to identify the root cause and eliminate it. Below are some excellent fixes that have helped many users to resolve the problem in question. If one solution does not work, move on to the next until your issue is fixed.
Let’s get started, shall we?
Method 1: Change Your Theme
If your active theme is glitching, you are more likely to experience the “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error. Some users say that changing their themes allowed them to remove the error from their computers.
Follow the steps below to apply this hack:
- Press the Windows + I combination to open the Settings application.
- Go to Personalisation and then choose Themes from the left menu.
- Select a theme on the right pane. If you don’t like any of the presented themes, click the “Get more themes in Microsoft Store” link and pick a better one.
- Restart your computer.
If the error disappears, then use this guide to delete the problematic theme from your device:
- Press the Windows + R shortcut to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type in “%windir%\Resources\Themes” (without quotes) and hit Enter.
- When a new folder opens, delete the problematic theme and its folder.
- Then restart the device.
Method 2: Remove Your Custom Screensaver
A custom screensaver might conflict with the Windows theme feature, causing the “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error. You could try replacing the screensaver and see if that helps, but disabling it is always the better option.
Here is how to remove the custom screensaver:
- Open the Run dialog box using the Win + R combination and type “ms-settings:lockscreen” (no quotes). Then press Enter.
- Under the Lock screen section, scroll to the Screen saver settings option and click on it.
- On the next screen, click on the box under the Screen saver section and choose None.
- Click Apply at the bottom and then select OK.
- Restart your PC.
If the error reappears, then proceed to the next fix below.
Method 3: Disable Syncing
If Theme syncing is turned on, you are likely to face the “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error. Try disabling this feature and see if that will help remove the error. To do so, use this procedure:
- Hit the Windows key and then click on the Settings icon.
- Select Accounts when the Settings app opens.
- Choose Sync your settings on the left pane.
- Under the Individual sync settings section, click on the Theme toggle button to deactivate syncing.
Method 4: Use a Background Picture
A background picture is less likely to cause the “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error. So, if you have applied a slideshow theme, consider switching to a background picture.
Here is how to apply this solution:
- Open the Settings app (Win + I) and go to Personalisation.
- Click on the Background drop-down menu on the right pane and choose Picture.
- Select the Browse button and then choose your preferred picture.
- Then click on Choose picture.
Method 5: Perform an SFC Scan
Another excellent solution to the “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” problem is using the System File Checker (SFC) tool. This built-in tool scans your device for corrupted system files that may be causing errors on your PC and automatically repairs them.
You can easily use it by following the steps below:
- Press the Windows + S shortcut to open the Windows search box.
- Type “cmd” (without quotes) and then click on Run as administrator on the right-side menu.
- Select Yes on the UAC confirmation prompt to launch the Command Prompt.
- Now type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes) and then hit the Enter key.
- Wait for the process to complete. Then restart your Windows PC.
If you are still getting the error, then try the next fix below.
Method 6: Use the DISM Tool
The DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool helps you fix issues with system images. Follow this procedure to scan your OS for corrupted images and other problems and automatically repair them using DISM:
- Use the Win + S combination to open Search and then type “run” (without quotes).
- Choose Open on the right pane.
- Type “cmd” (no quotes) into the Run dialog box and then press Ctrl+ Shift + Enter.
- Choose Yes on the confirmation prompt and then type“DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth” (without quotes) into the CMD window.
- Hit Enter and then wait for the scan to complete.
- Next, type in “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” (no quotes). Then press Enter.
- Once the process completes, restart the computer.
The “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error should be gone by now.
Pro Tip: Scan Your System for Registry Issues
Registry issues are a major factor that can cause random errors, such as “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme”, on your computer. So, it’s crucial that you scan your Windows registry for corrupted registry keys that may cause your machine to crash and immediately eliminate them. One professional tool that can help you achieve this is Auslogics Registry Cleaner. The good thing about this tool is that it has a free version that you can use to test its efficacy in resolving registry problems and stabilizing your computer. You can download this tool from the Auslogics website and start enjoying its remarkable benefits today.
Unlike other Windows 10 errors, the “Windows can’t find one of the files in this theme” error does not cause severe damage to your PC. However, it can be very distractive and annoying. If this issue is what brought you here, we hope this article has helped you successfully resolve it. Also, if you have additional tips regarding the same problem, feel free to share them with our community by commenting below. Lastly, consider checking out our blog for more Windows 10 guides like this one.