For many people, Skype has been an integral part of their daily lives. Some use it for work while others use it to communicate with loved ones overseas. In most cases, Skype functions properly. However, this software program is still susceptible to a host of issues. Sometimes, the transmitted audio sounds like Darth Vader speaking underwater. In other instances, the video can lag and buffer in the most awkward frame. So, you might ask, “What if Skype app is not working on my PC?” If you share the same problem, you will be glad you found this article.
In this post, we are going to teach you how to make Skype work on Windows 10. We’ll share the best methods for fixing common issues associated with this call and messaging app.
Solution 1: Accessing the Skype Heartbeat Page
The first thing you need to do is determine whether there are issues with the Skype system itself. If you are not able to use a specific feature or if the app fails to connect, you can check the Skype Heartbeat page to know the program’s status. You can access this by clicking Help on the Skype menu. There, you will find the Heartbeat (Skype Status) option.
Once you open the Heartbeat page, you will be able to know about the status of Skype’s system. You will be able to determine issues with the infrastructure of the program. Moreover, you will see a list of recent Skype-related programs at the bottom of the page.
Solution 2: Troubleshooting the Audio Settings
One of the best ways to learn how to fix Skype not working issue is to determine what causes the problem. So, we recommend checking if your microphone or speakers are malfunctioning. To do this, you need to follow the steps below:
- Open Settings on Skype. Usually, you will see this option at the top-left portion of the window. In most recent versions of Skype, Settings can be accessed by clicking the More Options icon which looks like three horizontally aligned dots.
- On the left-pane menu, select Audio & Video.
- Test your microphone by speaking to it. You should be able to see the volume bar moving under the Microphone section.
- If the volume bar is not moving, click the drop-down menu next to Microphone. Choose a different device that lets the volume bar move while you’re talking.
It is possible that you’ve unknowingly blocked Skype from accessing your microphone. To know if this is true, you can follow the instructions below:
- On your keyboard, press Windows Key+I. Doing this should open the Settings app.
- Select Privacy from the options.
- Go to the left-pane menu and select Microphone.
- Go to the right pane, then switch on the ‘Allow apps to access your microphone’ option.
- Scroll down until you find Skype. Make sure that microphone access is enabled for this app.
If you can’t hear anything on Skype, you can test the speakers. You can do that through these steps:
- Open Skype’s Settings.
- Select Audio & Video from the menu.
- Click Test Audio. You should be able to hear the Skype ringtone.
- If you do not hear anything, click the drop-down menu beside Speakers. Select a different audio output option, then click Test Audio again.
Solution 3: Inspecting your Audio Hardware
If troubleshooting your audio settings does not help, we suggest inspecting the condition of your hardware. If you’re using a headset or an external microphone, check the volume slider or mute switch. It is possible that you’ve accidentally moved or flipped the switch.
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
You should also ensure that you’ve plugged your speakers and microphone into the right ports. USB microphones can be connected to any USB slot. However, if you are using an analog microphone, you must connect it to the right sound jack. On the other hand, if you’re using a desktop computer and the microphone is plugged into the front sound jack, try the one at the back of your PC. If none of these works, then it might be time to replace your microphone.
Solution 4: Modifying Skype Video Settings
If you’re having problems with your Skype video calls, you can troubleshoot the issue through the Settings menu. Here are the steps:
- Access Skype’s Settings menu.
- Select Audio & Video from the options.
- Click the drop-down menu beside Camera.
- Select a different device, then try making the Skype video call again.
If you know that your webcam is properly connected to your PC but you can’t see it in this window, then you need to add or update your drivers. You can do this manually by visiting your webcam manufacturer’s site. However, you need to make sure that you get the drivers that are compatible with your system version. Otherwise, you might cause more problems for your computer.
That said, we recommend a more convenient and reliable option — Auslogics Driver Updater. After you activate this tool, it will automatically identify the Windows version you have. Moreover, it will find the latest manufacturer-recommended drivers for your system.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
It is also possible that for some reason, Skype is blocked from accessing the cameras connected to your computer. To resolve this, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to your taskbar, then click the Search icon.
- Now, type “Settings” (no quotes), then press Enter.
- Once the Settings app is open, select Privacy.
- Choose Camera from the options on the left-pane menu.
- Enable the ‘Allow apps to access your camera’ option.
- Scroll down and make sure that camera access is activated for Skype.
Solution 5: Performing a Skype Test Call
Once you’ve ensured that your microphone, speakers, and camera are working properly, it is time to perform a test call. You can do this through the steps below:
- Click the Search box on Skype.
- Type “echo123” (no quotes).
- Select Echo/Sound Test Service from the results.
- Now, click the Call button. Keep in mind that you can only make voice calls through this service.
You will be prompted to speak to your microphone after you hear a beep. What you say will be recorded and will be played back to after a few seconds. If you can hear your own voice, then you have successfully configured Skype.
Which Skype version do you use?
Let us know by joining the discussion below!