You do not have to worry about the PropSchemaReg64.exe error because there are several solutions to an error like this. More often than not, the PropSchemaReg64.exe error has something to do with compatibility issues affecting system applications, or it might be down to malware infection, outdated system drivers, or your computer missing a component needed by the affected program.
Regardless of the issues that triggered or gave rise to the problem, we intend to show you how to troubleshoot the PropSchemaReg64.exe error in Windows 10.
What is PropSchemaReg64?
You might be interested in learning what PropSchemaReg64.exe is and how it got linked to the CorelDRAW program. PropSchemaReg64.exe is a program file that is a critical component of the CorelDRAW Essentials 4 application developed by the Corel Corporation. PropSchemaReg64.exe errors appear due to a wide range of reasons.
Common PropSchemaReg64.exe error messages
The most popular messages associated with PropSchemaReg64.exe errors include:
- exe Application Error.
- exe failed.
- exe has encountered a problem.
- Cannot find \\Windows\\System32\\ PropSchemaReg64.exe.
- exe is not a valid application.
- exe is not running.
- Error starting program: PropSchemaReg.exe.
- Error 2753: The File PropSchemaReg64.Exe is not marked For Installation.
These error messages typically appear when users are installing a program or launching applications associated with PropSchemaReg64, such as CorelDRAW Essentials 4 – Windows Shell Extension. They also manifest themselves during the shutdown or rebooting of Windows events. In rare scenarios, they appear during the installation operations for a new operating system.
What if Windows 10 cannot find PropSchemaReg64.exe?
If the Windows 10 running on your machine cannot find PropSchemaReg64.exe, then you must assume that the file is missing or corrupted. In some cases, the error might indicate that Windows could not start because PropSchemaReg64.exe is missing or corrupt. Technically, this implies that the PropSchemaReg64.exe file is damaged or the origin of the file is questionable.
There is also a decent chance you are dealing with an improper file installation issue on your computer.
How to fix the PropSchemaReg64.exe error on Windows 10
To fix some system errors, you simply need to restart your computer. If the error persists after the reboot operation, then it points to a more serious problem within the Windows operating system environment.
We recommend that you begin your troubleshooting operations with the first fix on the list and continue with the rest in that order. You may stumble on the ideal fix (in your case) before you reach the end of this guide.
Check the validity of the PropSchemaReg64.exe file:
First, we are assuming that the PropSchemaReg64.exe file error is down to an issue involving the file’s legitimacy. For one, you must determine whether the PropSchemaReg64.exe file is a legitimate Windows 10 executable file or malware with a similar name.
A standard method of determining the legitimacy of a Windows 10 process requires you to check the location of the executable itself. For example, a process like PropSchemaReg64.exe should run from C:\ Program Files \ Common files \ Corel \ Shared \ Shell extension \ x64.
If you find the file running from a different location that does not exist on that path, then the file is probably malicious or harmful.
You can check the file path by following the steps below:
- Open File Explorer and then select View in the toolbar section.
- From View (to the right of the toolbar), click on Options.
- Click on Change folder and search options.
The Folder Options dialogue box will appear.
- In this dialogue box, click on View to open the View tab.
- Around Advanced settings on the View tab, you must tick the box for Display the full path in the title bar.
- Click on Apply.
The folder path in the title bar will become visible for all files.
- Click on OK to close the dialogue box.
Copy the file path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Shared\Shell Extension\x64\PropSchemaReg.exe and then paste it in the File Explorer app, or you can go to this location on your own. If you discover that the PropSchemaReg.exe file on your computer is not stored in or running from the specified file path/location, you must carry out further investigations.
Continue with these steps:
- Once you locate PropSchemaReg.exe, right-click on the file, and then select Properties.
The PropSchemaReg Properties dialogue box will open.
- Click on Digital Signatures.
The Digital Signatures tab will be brought up.
- Click the Details button to view the digital signature.
- Check and confirm that the digital signature reads Corel Corporation.
- You can go a step further by clicking on View Certificate to verify the file’s legitimacy.
If you are sure that the file is legitimate but it is in the wrong folder, you can simply relocate the file by cutting and pasting it to the right location. If the file’s legitimacy becomes questionable after checking its digital signature, you have to get rid of it.
Protect PC from Threats with Anti-Malware
Check your PC for malware your antivirus may miss and get threats safely removed with Auslogics Anti-MalwareDOWNLOAD NOW
To remove the PropSchemaReg64.exe malware, you can download and install an anti-malware program like Auslogics Anti-Malware. Use this program to run a full scan of your computer file system.
After your PC becomes free of viruses, you can try downloading a new PropSchemaReg64.exe file and placing it in the appropriate location. We are against you downloading replacement .exe files from third-party websites because those sites are not trustworthy. They might be hosting malware
To download or reinstall PropSchemaReg64.exe, we recommend that you reinstall the main application associated with CorelDRAW Essentials 4 – Windows Shell Extension.
Note: The correct PropSchemaReg64.exe file should exist along the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Shared\Shell Extension\ path. When you review the information on the Details tab of the PropSchemaReg Properties dialogue box, you must check and confirm these values:
- File description: Property Schemer Installer
- Product name: Corel Graphics Application
- Copyright: © Corel Corporation (2007)
- Legal Trademarks: Corel, CorelDRAW, Corel DESIGNER …
- Full Path: C:\Program Files\common files\Corel\shared\shell extension\x64
Check your PC for hidden malware:
In some cases, an active malicious program works to disrupt PropSchemaReg64.exe operations and cause problems. If our assumptions hold true, then you will be able to fix things by enabling safe mode with networking and then performing some tasks to get rid of the malware.
Safe mode guarantees a secure environment where most processes are disabled and only the essential drivers and services get loaded. In safe mode, you can launch the anti-malware program we recommended earlier and use it to scan your computer for threats.
Check for driver updates:
Here, you must consider the possibility that some drivers are involved in triggering the error you are struggling with now. For one, many functionalities or features in applications are dependent on drivers. When drivers are malfunctioning or operating in the wrong state, Windows struggles to execute certain operations. For this reason (and others), you have to update your computer drivers.
Follow these instructions to update your drivers:
- Go to the Windows Start screen.
- Type Device manager into the search box that shows up there.
- Select Device Manager.
- Double-click on the appropriate driver category to see the drivers inside it.
- Right-click on the driver you are looking to update.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to update the driver.
To be fair, numerous drivers are operating on your PC. It is impractical for you to try to update all of them or even identify them. Fortunately, you can take advantage of an application like Auslogics Driver Updater that will automatically download and install updates for all the bad computer drivers.
All you have to do is download and run the recommended tool. Your computer will end up with the newest stable (manufacturer-recommended) driver versions in no time, which means all driver-related issues will be resolved. The problems defined by the PropSchemaReg error are likely to disappear.
Check and confirm that Windows OS is up to date:
Microsoft Windows 10 regularly pushes updates to users to keep their devices running smoothly and securely. The PropSchemaReg64.exe error might have something to do with your machine missing a critical Windows update. Go through these steps to check for the latest Windows updates:
- Search for Update on the Windows search screen.
- Select the Update and Security option.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates.
- Follow the on-screen steps to install the latest updates.
- Restart your PC.
Run an SFC scan and search for other damaged files:
You might be encountering the PropSchemaReg64.exe error because your computer is using corrupted .dll components. A DLL (short for Dynamic Link Library) file is a file that contains special instructions or code that other programs get to call upon to perform certain functions.
If the previous operations failed to do enough to fix the problem, we suggest you run a System File Checker (SFC) scan. With an SFC scan, you get to detect and resolve damaged components. These are the steps you must follow to run an SFC scan:
- First, type Command Prompt or cmd into the search box located on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- From the list of results displayed, right-click on Command Prompt (App).
- Launch the Command Prompt window and choose Run as administrator.
Here, you must first run the inbox Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool before using the System File Checker.
- On the Command window, type exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth into the text field.
(Take note of the spaces before each “/” in the command)
- Hit the Enter button.
The procedure may take a while, so you must be patient.
When a message stating that the operation was completed successfully appears, you must continue with these steps:
- Type sfc /scannow
(Take note of the space between “sfc” and “/”)
- Hit the Enter key.
The SFC utility will scan all system files and replace corrupted files with cached copies.
Once the verification processes reach completion, you will have to do one of the following:
- If Windows Resource Protection (WRP) failed to perform the requested operation, you will have to run the SFC scan in safe mode.
- On the other hand, if Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, you will have to fix the corrupted files on your own by finding them and replacing the files with good versions.
Error 2753: The File PropSchemaReg.Exe is not marked for installation.
This error message typically manifests itself when users try to reinstall CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4, X5, X6, or older versions without uninstalling Corel Graphics – Windows Shell Extension first.
This error message can also come up several times during installation or reinstallation operations for related applications and components.
How to Resolve “The File Propschemareg.Exe is not marked for installation”:
To resolve this installation error, you have to uninstall Corel Graphics – Windows Shell Extension. You can also uninstall CorelDRAW Essentials 4 – Windows Shell Extension from your computer through its uninstaller found in the same folder as the PropSchemaReg file.
If the uninstaller is missing or you cannot trace the required file path, you will have to uninstall CorelDRAW Essentials 4 – Windows Shell Extension through a standard procedure. Follow these instructions:
- First, you have to open the Start menu.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Now, you must click on System on the Settings window.
- Here, you must select Apps and features (located on the left pane).
- Now, you scroll down to find CorelDRAW Essentials 4 – Windows Shell Extension. Click on it.
- Click on the Uninstall button that recently appeared.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the application.
- Restart your computer.
Clear temporary files (delete the contents of the temporary folder):
In Windows, a temporary directory is a directory on your PC’s hard drive or solid-state drive used to store temporary files. This directory sometimes appears as TEMP and may contain files with the .tmp extension.
Cleaning the temporary directory often – as a method of solving system issues on Windows 10 – might be a solution to the PropSchemaReg64.exe error. Disk Cleanup is a Microsoft software utility for deleting unnecessary files. Disk Cleanup removes useless files, including Temp files, downloaded program files, offline web pages, and thumbnails.
The procedure involving the tool might also improve the performance of your PC’s hard drive.
Note: Disk Cleanup empties the Recycle Bin, so before you proceed with these steps, you might want to check and confirm that you can do without all the items in Recycle Bin.
Follow these instructions:
- Use the Windows key + X command to access the Power User menu.
- From the list of apps and options, select Run.
- Type cleanmgr into the text field and then hit the Enter button.
- Restart your PC.
Compatibility issues involving PropSchemaReg64
Run the compatibility troubleshooter:
In some rare scenarios, the PropSchemaReg.exe component might be incompatible with the version of Windows running on a machine. Such old programs sometimes run poorly or do not at all. If our assumption holds true in your case, to make things right, you can run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter for PropSchemaReg.exe to detect and resolve common compatibility issues.
These are the instructions you must follow to run the compatibility troubleshooter for the program:
- Locate PropSchemaReg.exe.
- Right-click on the file and then select Properties.
The PropSchemaReg Properties dialogue box will come up.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and then click on Run compatibility troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the troubleshooter window.
If the troubleshooter fails to resolve the problem, you must try tweaking the compatibility settings manually. Do this:
- Right-click on the PropSchemaReg icon.
- Click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Select one of the manual compatibility settings (Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8 or 7).
We recommend you check all other options and apply the new settings to all accounts on the PC. You might need to input an admin password or to confirm your choices.
- Click on OK to finish things.