‘Ice contains no future, just the past, sealed away.’
There are plenty of frozen things to like, including ice cream, the Disney movie that had kids singing ‘Let it Go’, and pretty snowflakes. However, most of us would agree that a freezing computer screen can never induce happiness. Many users reported that this happened to them when they tried to switch to another account in Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or Windows Server 2012 R2. Of course, the experience can be unpleasant for anyone because there’s always the risk of losing unsaved work.
So, what if your PC freezes after switching to another Windows 10 account? In this article, we are going to answer that question and provide you with the best possible solution for the problem.
What if Your PC Freezes after Switching to Another Windows 10 Account
Before we talk about the methods for fixing the problem, it is advisable for us to discuss the scenario wherein the issue usually occurs:
- The user has at least two accounts on a PC. The device has a Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, or Windows RT 8.1 operating system. While there are few reports of this problem showing up on Windows 10, it is still good to know that the solutions in this article can apply to this OS.
- The user logs on to their PC in a landscape orientation, then goes to Screen Resolution and changes the settings to Landscape (Flipped).
- They switch to another account in their computer.
What happens next is, the PC freezes until the user performs a cold shutdown to restart their device. Most of the time, this problem happens because of a deadlock occurring after the user switched to another account.
How to Fix PC Freezing After Switching to Another Account
As of this writing, Microsoft has not provided a foolproof solution to this problem. Many users tried various workarounds to the issue, but they are only temporary. However, the best way to resolve it is to install the update rollup 2995388. Keep in mind that this solution works best on Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 operating systems.
Steps on Performing a Windows Update
- Go to Settings, then click Change PC Settings or Update and Recovery.
- Click Check Now, then let Windows search for the latest updates.
- If there are available updates, select Install Updates.
- Under Optional, select the update 2995388, then click Install.
- Once you’ve installed the updates, restart your PC. Make sure you save your files and close your apps before doing this. This way, you will not lose any unsaved work.
If you wish, you can also get the stand-alone package for the update 2995388. You can do this by searching for the right files in the Microsoft Download Center. Make sure you download the one that is compatible with your operating system.
In most cases, your screen freezes because your computer is intolerably slow. So, to avoid this problem, we recommend installing Auslogics BoostSpeed. Once you’ve activated this tool, it will perform a comprehensive checkup of your system and locate junk files, speed-reducing issues, and other elements that may cause system or application crashes or glitches. Just by clicking a button, you will be able to sweep out all types of rubbish in your computer, including user temporary files, unused error logs, web browser cache, leftover Windows Update files, unneeded Microsoft Office cache, and temporary Sun Java files, among many others.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed 11
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
What’s more, BoostSpeed will tweak system settings and optimize them, letting most operations and processes perform faster. It even adjusts your Internet connection settings to ensure that you will have a faster and smoother browsing experience. Auslogics BoostSpeed is trusted by millions of PC users around the world. So, it’s high time you grabbed the opportunity!
Do you think there are better methods for resolving freezing screen issues?
Share your suggestions in the comments section below!