There are reports of ArcheAge performance issues with the recent Windows 10 update. Users complained about different problems including freezing or stuttering, crashing when loading, using high disk usage, and dropping FPS. At times, ArcheAge gets stuck on Splash Screen.
These errors affect the game’s performance and user experience. No one wants a game that lags, stutters, or freezes. Moreover, nobody wants an application that constantly shows 100% disk usage on the PC.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to fix ArcheAge performance issues on Windows 10 to continue enjoying your game and using your PC without any glitches.
Why Is ArcheAge Stuttering?
The ArcheAge performance issues on Windows 10 can result from different software- and hardware-related problems. For instance, the game can lag or stutter if the device doesn’t meet the game’s minimum system and hardware requirements.
ArcheAge stuttering on Windows 10 could be because of the following reasons:
- The background programs and applications are using too much PC resources.
- The high demand for the game locks up its servers, slowing it down or blocking users’ game sessions.
- Your PC doesn’t meet the minimum system and hardware requirements for ArcheAge.
- There are outdated graphics or network drivers on your PC.
- You have a poor or unstable internet connection.
- There’s a program conflict in your system.
- Cross-playing over different platforms is affecting the game’s performance.
- Certain ArcheAge configurations are incompatible with Windows 10.
How to Fix ArcheAge Issues on Windows 10
Managing stutters and lags in the game is possible, but only to a certain extent. The solutions below will guide you on how to fix the ArcheAge issues on Windows 10, including the lagging and stuttering.
Before you consider any solution, check if your Windows 10 system meets the minimum system requirements for ArcheAge.
The ArcheAge minimum system requirements are:
- Processor: Intel Core2 Duo or higher.
- Hard Disk: 30 GB (NTFS-formatted disk)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM.
- Graphics card: At least 1024MB video memory.
- Operating system: Windows 10 (as well as Win Vista SP1, Win7 SP1, Win8), and
- High-speed internet connection.
If your system does not meet these minimum requirements, you need to upgrade. Otherwise, install ArcheAge on a system with the above specifications.
However, if your system meets these requirements but you still experience ArcheAge performance issues, you can proceed to the solutions below.
How to Fix FPS Drops in ArcheAge on Windows 10
If ArcheAge is showing lags, stutters, or FPS drops during gameplay, the following solutions can help you resolve the issue:
1. Verify Your Internet Connection
If your internet connection is unstable or slow, you will definitely experience ArcheAge lags. So, you need to check and verify that your connection is okay and improve it for better game performance.
You can verify the status of your internet connection using different methods, such as
- conducting an internet speed test online;
- checking the signal strength of your Wi-Fi connection and verifying that you’re actually connected to the Wi-Fi;
- changing your network router position to a higher or raised position that can receive more signal strength;
- disabling cross-play if you’re running ArcheAge online;
- restarting the router to see if it will get a better signal strength;
- and stopping any ongoing downloads while playing ArcheAge.
If your internet connection is stable with strong signal strength, maybe something else is causing the ArcheAge lags. Proceed to the next solution to fix the problem.
2. Use a Wired Connection to Play ArcheAge
Instead of using a Wi-Fi connection, it’s recommended to use a wired (ethernet) connection when playing a high-bandwidth game like ArcheAge.
Although a Wi-Fi connection is convenient, it’s less stable, especially for gaming.
So, changing to a wired connection will improve your game’s performance because it will give you better internet speed and stability.
3. Terminate Background Network-Intensive Programs
If you start experiencing ArcheAge lags and stutters during gameplay, you should close all the programs in the background that may be network- and resource-intensive.
Some of the bandwidth-intensive applications that you may consider terminating include YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, or other video streaming services. Also, consider closing CPU-intensive programs to release more resources for ArcheAge.
You can terminate background running programs through the Task Manager, using the following steps:
- Press Windows key + R to launch the Run app.
- Type “msconfig” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- On the new window, go to the Services tab.
- Check the box next to “Hide all Microsoft services,” then click Disable All.
- Next, on the same window, go to the Startup tab.
- Locate and click the “Open Task Manager” link.
- In the Task Manager, go to the Startup tab.
- Disable all the startup tasks, one at a time, using the following steps:
- Right-click on the task.
- Select Disable.
Once done, restart your PC and try to play ArcheAge again while checking if the lag or stutter is gone.
4. Use Full Screen Mode
Most games allow windowed, borderless, or full-screen modes. If you want to get maximum game performance in ArcheAge, it is recommended to use the full-screen mode. Why so, you ask? Well, games running in full-screen mode have better control over the screen output, giving them improved performance.
5. Give ArcheAge Unchained High Priority Through the Task Manager
To do this:
- Right-click on an empty space on the taskbar.
- Select Task Manager.
- If applicable, click More Details at the bottom of the window.
- Now, go to the Details tab.
- Locate ArcheAge: Unchained.exe on the list.
- Right-click the process, then select Set Priority->High from the context menu.
This should solve the FPS drops and allow you to play the game without any glitches.
Note: If you keep experiencing system lags, you can use the Auslogics BoostSpeed to optimize your Windows 10 PC’s performance.
Resolve PC Issues with Auslogics BoostSpeed
Besides cleaning and optimizing your PC, BoostSpeed protects privacy, diagnoses hardware issues, offers tips for boosting speed and provides 20+ tools to cover most PC maintenance and service needs.
How to Fix ArcheAge Lags on Windows 10
If the quick fixes don’t solve the ArcheAge performance issues, including lags, use the solutions below.
ArcheAge graphics issues can occur because of different reasons. If your system meets or exceeds the minimum requirements for the game, its video settings may be set too high.
If this is the case, you may want to adjust your in-game video settings. Most of the time, adjusting the system’s graphics settings and DirectX mode removes the ArcheAge lags.
1. Lower (Adjust) In-Game Video Settings
Many ArcheAge lagging or crashing issues stem from a PC being unable to handle the stress of running the game. In many cases, the weak link can be the processor, video card, or even memory.
Lowering ArcheAge’s video settings will put less strain on your system when playing the game and resolve the lags and crashing issues.
To lower the in-game video settings, follow the steps below:
- Launch the ArcheAge game.
- Press the Esc key to open the main menu.
- From the menu, select Options.
- In the Options window, go to Screen Settings on the left pane. Click on Quality to open the Quality Video option.
- Now, move the Graphics Quality Settings slider to the left to where it is set to Low.
- Click Apply to save the changes.
Once done, try playing ArcheAge again to see if the lagging problem continues to occur. If it doesn’t, try moving the Quality Preset slider back to the right while testing each setting. Find the ideal video quality that won’t cause lags or crashing issues.
2. Switch from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9
Sometimes, adjusting the DirectX version used in ArcheAge will help clear up graphics issues. To switch the version from 11 to 9, follow the steps below:
- While playing ArcheAge, press Esc to launch the main menu.
- From the menu, select Options.
- In the Options window, go to Screen Settings on the left pane, and click on the Screen option in the context menu.
- In the Screen options, click ArcheAge.
- Now, click Apply to save the changes.
If this switch helps to solve the graphics problem, play ArcheAge with this DirectX version. If not, you can switch your version back, using the above steps.
3. Update the Video Card Drivers
Your system’s video card drivers (and network drives) need to be updated regularly to maintain optimum game performance and compatibility.
To update your video card drivers, you will first need to identify your video card driver’s name, version, and manufacturer. Here’s how to do that:
- Press Windows key + R to launch the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, type “DxDiag” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- This will launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Click the display tab.
- Note the name and manufacturer of your video card listed under the Device section on the left pane.
- Now, write down the video card driver version listed under the Drivers section on the right pane.
With this information, visit the manufacturer’s website and then use your video card’s name to search for the most up-to-date driver. Download and install the driver, then see if the problem is gone.
Note: Download Auslogics Driver Updater to update all drivers on your PC with just one click. You can use this app to prevent device conflicts and ensure smooth hardware operation.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smoother
Before installing the updated driver you just downloaded, you need to uninstall the current video driver running in your system.
Here’s how to uninstall the driver using the Device Manager:
- Press Windows key + X to launch the Power User Menu.
- Click on Device Manager from the context menu.
- In the Device Manager window, locate Display Adapters, and click on the arrow next to it to expand it.
- Your video card should appear underneath the expansion.
- Now, right-click on the video card.
- From the context menu, select Uninstall.
- Click OK in the Confirm Device Uninstall window that appears.
- Once done, reboot your computer when the system prompts you.
You can then proceed and install the driver you downloaded. Finally, reboot the system to complete the changes.
Fix ArcheAge Crashing When Loading or Getting Stuck on Splash Screen
If ArcheAge keeps crashing when you’re logging in or it gets stuck on the loading screen, the problem may be due to a configuration file. You can solve this by editing the system.cfg file.
To edit system.cfg file, use the following steps:
- Close ArcheAge and Glyph completely.
- Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
- Go to your Documents folder.
- Locate the ArcheAge folder and open it.
- Right-click system.cfg and select Edit from the context menu.
- Now, change r_driver = “DX9” to r_driver = “DX11” in the pop-up window.
- Save changes and close the file.
- Once done, open the Glyph client and try to relaunch ArcheAge to see if the problem has been solved.
If the issue persists, you may need to flag the ArcheAge intro movie as already viewed. You will still do this in your game configuration, using the following steps:
- Press Windows Key + E to launch File Explorer.
- Open the Documents folder.
- Now, in Documents, locate the ArcheAge folder and open it.
- Locate system.cfg and double-click on it to open the folder.
- When Windows responds by saying that it cannot open the file, click the ‘Select a program from the list of installed programs’ option.
- From the available options in the window, select WordPad or Notepad.
- Now, edit the line that reads, “login_first_movie =,” and change the value from 0 to 1.
- Finally, save the file and launch ArcheAge.
The stuck at splash screen issue should be solved.
This article covers how to fix ArcheAge performance issues on Windows 10. We hope the methods described in this article helped you resolve the game’s problems so that you improve your user experience. Please share your feedback with us in the comments section.