Google Chrome makes it convenient for users to populate forms by storing their information. You have the option to let the browser save your login details, passwords, mailing address, phone numbers, and more. While the autofill feature of Google Chrome can improve your browsing experience, it can be annoying and distracting at times. Moreover, it can become a security threat, especially when you share your device with other people. If your laptop gets stolen, your private information can become vulnerable.
If you do not want your web browser storing your information, you can learn how to turn off autofill in Chrome. We will share various ways to do this. By the end of the article, you will know how to stop Chrome from remembering usernames, passwords, and your other personal data.
How to Turn Off Autofill in Chrome via the Settings Section
- Launch Chrome, then click the Settings icon in the top-right corner of the browser. It should look like three vertically aligned dots.
- From the menu, select Settings. You can also access the Settings section by typing “chrome://settings/” (no quotes) inside the URL box.
- Now, scroll down until you get to the Autofill section.
- Click Addresses and More.
- Toggle the switch for the ‘Save and fill addresses’ option to Off.
How to Clear Unwanted Autofill Entries in Google Chrome
You also have the option to remove saved addresses one by one. Here are the steps:
- Open Chrome, then go to the top-right corner of the browser. Click the Settings icon.
- Click Settings from the options.
- Once you get to the Settings page, scroll down until you get to the Autofill section.
- Click Addresses and More.
- If you want to remove any saved address, click the Options icon, which looks like three vertically aligned dots, beside the entry.
- Select Remove from the context menu.
Keep in mind that doing these steps will immediately remove the entry without warning. Moreover, you cannot undo the action. So, it is important that you are certain that you really want to delete the information.
Resolve PC Issues with Driver Updater
Unstable PC performance is often caused by outdated or corrupt drivers. Auslogics Driver Updater diagnoses driver issues and lets you update old drivers all at once or one at a time to get your PC running smootherDOWNLOAD NOW
problem yourself, you can
ask our certified PC technicians for immediate assistance in the chat right on this page.
How to Remove Autofill Data Via the Clear Browsing Data Section
There’s also a section under Clear Browsing Data where you can remove all your autofill data. If you want to use this method, follow the instructions below:
- Launch Chrome, then click the Settings icon.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Click Advanced to reveal more options.
- Go to the Privacy and Security section, then click Clear Browsing Data.
- Now, make sure you are on the Advanced tab.
- Select Autofill Form Data from the options. You can also select other items you want to delete.
- Click Clear Data.
Bonus Tip: Editing Autofill Entries
We understand that not everyone wants to completely remove their autofill entries in Chrome. You probably want to modify some of the information. Don’t worry because we’ll teach you how to change your autofill details in Chrome. Here are the steps:
- Go to Chrome, then click the Settings icon.
- From the options, select Settings.
- Now, go to the Autofill section and click Addresses and More.
- Click the Options icon beside the entry, then select Edit from the menu.
After following these steps, you will be able to modify the autofill details in Chrome.
Pro Tip: If you want to enjoy a smooth browsing experience, you need to ensure that all the components in your computer are updated and functioning properly. Moreover, you need to make sure that you have the latest drivers. In this case, we recommend that you use Auslogics Driver Updater. This tool allows you to update all your drivers with a click of a button. Once the process is complete, you will have the latest, manufacturer-recommended driver versions. Consequently, the overall performance of your PC will improve.
Do you want to get more tips in using Google Chrome?
Let us know in the comments below!