What is Error Code 0x8500201d?
When trying to access your Windows Mail app, you might see the following:
“Something went wrong…
We can’t sync right now. But you may be able to find more information about this error code http://answers.microsoft.com
Error code: 0x8500201d”
This ‘We can’t sync right now’ issue might seem a pretty serious matter, whereas it actually isn’t. In fact, there is no reason whatsoever to panic since it is a thing of no great difficulty to eliminate this error and get your Windows Mail up and running again. Just keep working your way through the article and get all the necessary instructions to resolve your problem.
In layman’s terms, Error Code 0x8500201d means the Windows Mail app is having difficulty syncing with your mail account. This is quite a headache as you can’t receive emails and may therefore be out of reach. In a scenario like this, there is no time for beating about the bush. With no more stalling, here we go.
How to Fix the ‘We can’t sync right now’ Error on Windows 10?
Check your date and time settings
The first step you should take is checking whether your date and time settings are correctly configured. Here is what you should do:
- Navigate to your Taskbar and right-click on the date and time section.
- From the menu, select Date and time settings.
- Toggle the “Set Time Automatically” and “Set Time Zone Automatically” sliders to “On”.
Now check your time and date and then see if the error 0x8500201d is still here.
Re-enable mail syncing
If your date and time settings are correct and yet the issue persists, it is time to disable and then re-enable mail syncing for your account. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Launch the Search app by clicking the Windows logo + S shortcut on your keyboard. The Search area can also be available in the Start menu.
- Into the Search bar, enter Mail. Hit the Enter button to search for the Windows Mail app.
- Once it is displayed in the Results list, click the app.
- When in the Mail app, move down to the gear-shaped icon, which is the Settings menu.
- In the Settings menu, click on the Manage Accounts option.
- Select the account affected by the error 0x8500201d.
- Then click on Change mailbox sync settings.
- Under Sync options, set Email to Off.
- Click Done. Your account will be removed from the app.
- Open the app again and re-add your account.
Hopefully, the 0x8500201d error is plaguing your computer no more.
Reconfigure your email account
This ‘We can’t sync right now’ issue may be quite persistent. If that’s your case, do the following:
- Open the Mail app and enter the Settings menu.
- Click on Manage Accounts and select the account that is having sync issues.
- Click Delete account.
- Exit the app. Then open it again.
- Click Add Account.
Now that you have reconfigured your account, check if your problem is no more.
Add a new account
No luck so far? Maybe switching to a new account will help you:
- Use the above instructions to delete the account that is having the 0x8500201d syncing problem.
- Then add a new account and close the app.
The 0x8500201d error should be a thing of the past now.
In some cases, the 0x8500201d nuisance stems from PC junk, registry issues or incorrect system settings. This means you should perform a thorough check-up of your Win 10 device if the previous fixes have been to no avail. Approaching the problem manually may prove ridiculously time-consuming, so we strongly advise using a dedicated tool to automate the otherwise taxing process. In such a situation, Auslogics BoostSpeed will come in extremely handy: the tool will scan for and address the issues that affect the function of your PC and lead to crashes, glitches and errors, including the one manifested in the ‘We can’t sync right now’ message.
Now you know how to fix the We can’t sync right now error on Windows 10.
Should you have any difficulty in sorting the issue, do not hesitate to contact us via the comments section below.